Audigy & Via Chips

G

Hi, I'm thinking about going with an audigy card, but heard that there is some problems with these and via chipset mobos. Is their any truth to this? I also heard you need 3 available IRQ's for audigy, Is their any truth in this? My last question is: Besides audigy, what is a comparable soundcard for around same price?

Thanks for all your help?

Larry

FatBurger

Illustrious
"but heard that there is some problems with these and via chipset mobos"

No, but there are problems with Creative's drivers.

"I also heard you need 3 available IRQ's for audigy, Is their any truth in this?"

Only if you talk to baldassano. I have friends with Audigys, and they havne't bothered with IRQs at all. I'm sure there's plenty of sharing going on.

"Besides audigy, what is a comparable soundcard for around same price?"

The Turtle Beach Santa Cruz or the Hercules Game Theater XP (depending on which Audigy you're looking at). I'd recommend one of those two.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Dude, I'm there too.

Creative isn't just old news. They are the child molestor who just moved in next door, and didn't register with the cops.

Time to get the heck out of *that* town...

Novakain

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Some people with m/b's with VIA chipsets have had problems - popping and crackling sounds in particular - when it comes to the Audigy. As have people with Intel/SIS/AMD/etc motherboards. And yes the Audigy card does use 3 IRQ's, but you can get away with sharing them unless you experience problems.

The Audigy is technically a good card, but because of these issues, it isn't a favorite with many people in the technical world (I wouldn't go as far as to say what the above statement says RE "child molester" though!).

The Turtle Beach Santa Cruz and the Hercules GTXP are both very good cards which offer better value-for-money. The technology used in both of these cards also produces better virtual 5.1 sound on 2 speaker systems, and better bass on cheaper speakers.

Having said that though, I have an Audigy. I'm happy with it running through my Sony SAVA-7's and Yamaha TSS-1 speakers. I've never had any problems with it and I've (hopefully) invested in the future with something that supports EAX Advanced HD.

What you choose is your choice. But if you were to buy the Audigy, I'd try to buy it from a place where you can return it if you do experience problems.