Audigy X-gamer headaches

G

I recently bought an audigy x-gamer sound card. I've had trouble getting it installed because of conflicts with my onboard audio. I have an abit sh6 motherboard. I try to remove the onboard audio in device manager, but everytime i restart, windows picks it back up and reinstalls it. I've also tried disabling it in my bios settings. I can disable the main sound device, but that still leaves the joystick port and the midi sound device. Does anyone know how i can completely remove these devices so that windows will not pick them up.

G

I'll have to check the manual on my motherboard, but i'm pretty sure it does.

Just restart, I don't care what it's doing....just restart.

G

Have you tried _disabling_ them in Device Manager? If you can't tell your motherboard not to see it, at least making Win2K pretend that it's blind may work (I'm assuming 2000 here).

G

This message is for those who have audio on board

before you install your sound card. DISABLE THE AUDIO ON BOARD BY GOING TO YOUR BIOS (SEE YOUR MOTHERBOARD MANUFACUTRE MANUAL)

WHEN YOU DISABLE THE AUDIO ON BOARD, WINDOWS WILL DETECT YOUR SOUND CARD AND INSTALL THE DRIVERS NORMALLY.

"Why am I a good boy?" You asked. I'm not BEST, but simply GOOD.

G

I know how to disable the main audio device in bios, but my problem comes with also disabling the additional midi device and the joystick gameport that is also onboard. Windows keeps picking them up. And even if i disable it in device manager, i get conflicts.

Negaverse23

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You should be able to disable the onboard game port in the BIOS as well.

<font color=red>It is the weakest link. They are not ready yet many have tried and failed with it.</font color=red>

G

WOOHOO! I fixed it. I found a pdf of my motherboard and it told me exactly what to disable in bios. Thanks everyone for your input.