Oct 16, 2019
Good day all,

I am having two issues with my laptop as stated below.

Please note that these issues were not present when I previously used the laptop (3 days ago).

I am using an ASUS Laptop X541UA running the following OS:

Windows 10 Home Single Language
Version: 1903
Build: 18362.418
64-bit

External Display Problem:

Upon switching on the laptop, I already had my external display connected to my VGA output on my laptop. I noticed the external monitor flicker, then goes totally black.

No image was displayed. The image on my laptop screen flickers/dazzles when connected to the external monitor.

I am running the updated version of the Intel Graphics Driver as suggested by the ASUS driver software.

On the Intel Graphics Control Panel, I notice that the software detects the external monitor for like 1 second, flickers, then fails to detect, its a continuous cycle.

I disconnect the external monitor so I can use the laptop normally.

What have I done to try and fix the issue?

-Uninstalled Windows latest quality update
-Rolled back Intel Graphics Driver
-Uninstalled Intel Graphics Driver and booted up the PC
-Installed the latest version of Intel
Graphics required by my system
-Updated Windows using Windows Update
-Booted into Safe mode and connected external monitor
-Tested the external monitor using my Desktop PC (Monitor is functional)
-Refreshed Windows 10, error remains.

Please provide me any more solutions that I may have missed.

Audio Problem:

I have also noticed a red cross on my volume icon on the taskbar. When I hover the mouse over the icon, I am displayed with a Tip text:

"No Audio Output Device is installed"

I also tried using the "Dictate" function on Microsoft Word, but it fails to recognize my built-in microphone.

What have I done to try and fix the issue?

-I ran the Windows troubleshooter and was displayed with a message stating that I need to plug in an audio device
-I plugged in an external speaker using the audio jack on the laptop. Error remains
-Laptop built in speakers were also not detected
-I have noticed my Realtek drivers were not listed under audio devices in Device Manager.
-Only "Intel(R) Display Audio" is listed.
-Went to Apps and Features, uninstalled Realtek Audio drivers and rebooted PC. Error remains.
-Rebooted into Safe Mode, error remains.
-I downloaded the latest version of Realtek Audio drivers as suggested by the ASUS driver software, rebooted, error remains.
-I went to device manager and added legacy hardware, tried installing the Realtek drivers manually, unfortunately during this process the system crashes (BSOD) with an error message: "Stop code: rtkvhd64.sys" and then restarts.
-Refreshed Windows 10, error remains.

Please provide me any more solutions that I may have missed.

Could it be a driver or an actual hardware problem?

Thank you and kind regards

Lutfij

Titan
Just so we're on the same page, did you create your installer for Windows 10 using Windows Media Creation Tools? Can you check back with us after you take note of which BIOS version you're currently on? You also might want to download the drivers from Asus's support site instead of using an app to tell you which drivers to download.

Oct 16, 2019
Just so we're on the same page, did you create your installer for Windows 10 using Windows Media Creation Tools? Can you check back with us after you take note of which BIOS version you're currently on? You also might want to download the drivers from Asus's support site instead of using an app to tell you which drivers to download.

Hi there,

No I did not create an installation media. I have reset my PC today (under advanced boot options). The problems still remain even after a fresh installation. I was in contact with a Asus support and they have sent me the same drivers which I already tried. The app used was developed by Asus (preinstalled on the machine). They told me if it doesn't work, I should book in the laptop for a service. Absolutely unfortunate. I was hoping I could fix it myself without going the extra measures of booking it in as I am out of warranty.

My BIOS version is v311.

Oct 16, 2019

I am suspecting a lightning storm affected my laptop as my external screen wasn't unplugged from the wall socket and the screen input was connected to the VGA output port on the laptop.

Are the audio and video issues linked to one another, perhaps a common I/O card?

Note: the external monitor is still working as I've connected it up to my desktop. Which is weird because if it was struck by lightning, the power board should be affected causing it not to turn on. I stand to be corrected.