Question Audio "bouncing" issue on new PC build.

Whyexes

Reputable
Feb 10, 2017
Hello and welcome to my nightmare. I wasn't entirely sure which are of the forum to post this in since it doesn't really have an obvious cause to me.

Well, not really, there is technically solution to this problem already but its a little inconvenient and It doesn't actually "fix" the problem.

I recently upgraded my little suckwagon PC with a new...Well everything other than the GPU. This is the motherboard I bought. Everything has been running okay so far minus 2 hiccups, and I want to address one of those. I use the rear green audio jack for my regular desk speakers. Everything sounds good, everything seems to be working fine. When I play competitive games Ill slap on the headset. Now, the headset obviously occupies the front in and out audio jacks (which are case jacks not mobo, obv). However, I have an issue where the audio in the headset just goes bonkers. It gets quiet, it gets loud, directional audio just bounces around the ears, its VERY disorienting. Microphone works fine, and the headset worked fine before. Even on the game MENUS the audio is freaking out and bouncing around. One sound will cancel out another.

So I tried checking Discord to see if that was trying to attenuate the audio or something - and it was off as usual. Microsofts own communication setting for attenuation is also off. I looked at the Realtek settings for all the devices I have and saw nothing that looked to me like it would cause issues. Windows setting, nothing. Thinking the jack could be messed up I tried plugging it in the back and it worked, of course this is not convenient. Then I tried moving it back to the front jack and they sounded fine. Tried it in games, still fine, but my speakers were unplugged. Speakers back in the rear jack, and the audio in the headset starts messing up again.

So there temporary fix is to unplug the rear jack and the front jack will be fine. But Id prefer to leave my speakers plugged in all the time and Windows should just switch devices, it always did before and stopped utilizing the speakers. Now it seems like maybe it can't decide which to use?

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Whyexes

Reputable
Feb 10, 2017
Sounds like this may have something to do with the Creative SoundBlaster Cinema5 feature of your motherboard. Try disabling it.

So I have tried reinstalling SoundBlaster Cinema 5 and messing around with it, my music and stuff sounds great after configuring it. However, the issue is still present. Its very odd. The the SoundBlaster software did have an audio processing option for "smart volume" which basically tries to level everything out, but that couldnt be it since its off now, and Cinema 5 was uninstalled before.

I tried doing some additional research into the Realtek drivers I have and the Cinema5 software to see if anyone else has a similar issue, but mostly came up blank. Ive got every attenuation-like setting I can find on this PC off, Im just at a loss.

Last edited:

Whyexes

Reputable
Feb 10, 2017
Do u have one of those surround headphones? they play a fake, simulated surround, that personally am not found of.
I do not. It happens in both my gaming headset and my Grado headphones. Ive dug through every setting I can find and I have no clue what is doing this. Its absolutely terrible in PUBG, because that game is most quiet so you can hear footsteps, but if I starts walking whatever is causing this kicks in and basically mutes my game audio, then when it quiets down it will get super loud again. Its really frustrating. Especially because I play a lot of games where you need to listen to footsteps.

Whyexes

Reputable
Feb 10, 2017
Have you looked in "Control Panel > Sound > Communications"?
I have, that was one of the first things I did. And any related setting I have found in the Soundblaster software (the Smart Volume setting) are off as well.

It seems to only happen through the headphones. Or at least I can only detect in through the headphones.