Question Audio bugs out at high CPU usage

Expheria

Commendable
Aug 1, 2017
Issue: Audio crackling/sounds static like when CPU usage gets anywhere from 40-100%

Specs->
Mobo: ASROCK B450m HDV r4.0
CPU: Ryzen 2700 (non-x, stock speeds, cant oc anyway check below to see why ;^])
GPU: Red Devil RX-580 8GB (stock speeds, manual fan curve cause this thing literally sounds like its gonna take off)
Ram: Corsair Vengeance LPX (2x8, 3000mhz)
PSU: Thermaltake SMART 500w (Have owned this since 2015, doubt its the issue tho.)
Hard Drives: 1x WDB 1tb, 1x Seagate Firecuda 1tb (Windows 10 install), I've owned these since my first pc build back in 2013-2014 ish.
Headset: Logitech G633

Issue probably started 2 weeks ago.

I've tried using other USB ports (headset is usb), tried using ear buds with the 3.5mm audio jack on the back, tried using my brothers headset (same headset, just wireless)

I built this pc a little over a month ago, worked well minus the overclocking issue.

I've tried pretty much tried 3 pages of google searches on the issue, also multiple videos (literally all do the same thing), I've tried uninstalling audio drivers, getting audio drivers from the motherboards website, no luck.

I've tried older versions of windows 10 thinking that the new update might've broken something.

I disabled HPET on windows 10 and enabled the mobo one(defaulted on) a couple days after building the pc, not sure if that could break something but worth it to put here. I've also tried reverting it (reformatting windows 10, disabling it and re-enabling it, etc).

When playing Modern Warfare, my computer will freeze for about 6-7 seconds (Cant alt tab, cursor doesnt move), this only happens every couple of matches once.

Audio crackling/static happens when I am playing a game while listening to music/trying to stream(people hear it on stream aswell), if I dont have anything but discord and a game open it doesnt seem to do it, maybe once or twice every hour. if I am playing music/streaming/having another game in the background it crackles ALOT. especially when loading into games.

Havent updated bios on this mobo, will try that if someone says to. (Version 2.20 currently)

LatencyMon stuff is all green aswell, no jumps in the bars when it starts crackling.

EDC on Ryzen Master is always in the red (This is while the pc is idling, only discord open.)
Ln5fVDk.png

This is what makes me think its the motherboard, if I attempt to change clock speeds in the bios it black screens after saving & exiting, doesnt matter if its ram clocks, basically any number value I can change will brick it (Minus true/false values, such as HPET/virtualization stuff), this resulting in me having to reseat the CMOS battery (I wait about 2 minutes with it out, slap it back in and it starts up after about 30 seconds of being on a black screen)
This also happens with Ryzen Master, if I change anything on it, it will then black screen resulting in the option above.

Heres a video showing how it sounds ->
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlMU2YlAISg

Last edited:
When playing Modern Warfare, my computer will freeze for about 6-7 seconds (Cant alt tab, cursor doesnt move), this only happens every couple of matches once.

This little nugget tells me it's more than just an audio issue. You said you have a manual fan curve to make it less 'noisy'. Try doing the opposite. Run the fans at 80-90% and see if the issue lessens or goes away. Also, see if you can run through a 15min RealBench stress test okay.

Expheria

Commendable
Aug 1, 2017
This little nugget tells me it's more than just an audio issue. You said you have a manual fan curve to make it less 'noisy'. Try doing the opposite. Run the fans at 80-90% and see if the issue lessens or goes away. Also, see if you can run through a 15min RealBench stress test okay.

That fan curve is for the GPU, I can stream and play games for 8+ hours no issues on the CPUs side and most likely wont see more stress than that.

and it seems Modern Warfare is the only game that it freezes in, seeing as its probably the most demanding out of the games I play.

Edit: Seems I've fixed the OC issue by updating my bios, still have the sound issue tho. :(

Last edited: