Question Audio Buzz While Gaming. Ground Loop?

hippotype

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2015
I built my PC back in November using a cheap apparently low quality PSU and I had issue with my PC cutting out during gaming. After upgrading the PSU it has fixed that issue but exacerbated another.

During gaming I get a constant buzz/whine through my monitors and my headphones. I had this issue before on the previous PSU but it only occurred through my monitors and not my headphones. From the very little I understand this appears to be a ground loop issue. I do not understand how changing the PSU from a low quality 750w to a higher quality 850w has made this issue worse. My only guess is that now my GPU can draw as much power as it needs and this allows it to make more noise through my speakers and headphones?

I will also add, my setup is practically on top of the electric meter in my house (within 6ft), nothing I can do about that as I am very limited on space. So is it possible this is in part caused by interference from that?

Can anyone explain why this is happening and what I can do to fix/reduce this issue. It is incredibly annoying.

PC Specs:
PSU - Corsair RM850x (changed from a EVGA Gold 750W 210-Gq)
RAM - KLEVV BOLT 16GB 3600MHz DDR4-RAM
MOTHERBOARD - MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4
SSD - Crucial MX500 500GB
GPU - MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Gaming Z TRIO 10G
Cooling System - Corsair iCUE H100i PRO XT
Processor - i5 12600k LGA1700

I understand the RTX 3080 can be quite juicy, is this a common issue?

Also this is the 2nd PC I have built. I don't think I made any mistakes but obviously it is possible.

Any help on this would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Lutfij

Titan

Due to transient loads, you're actually advised to source a higher wattage PSU, something akin to 1KW or slightly more. That number is higher if you went with a RTX3090.

During gaming I get a constant buzz/whine through my monitors and my headphones.
Make and model of your audio output equipment?

Does your crib have proper grounding? i.e, you don't get a mild tingling sensation when you touch the metal part of your case and your feet are touching a tiled(non-wooden, non-carpeted) floor?

hippotype

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2015

Due to transient loads, you're actually advised to source a higher wattage PSU, something akin to 1KW or slightly more. That number is higher if you went with a RTX3090.

During gaming I get a constant buzz/whine through my monitors and my headphones.
Make and model of your audio output equipment?

Does your crib have proper grounding? i.e, you don't get a mild tingling sensation when you touch the metal part of your case and your feet are touching a tiled(non-wooden, non-carpeted) floor?

Would you advise I return the 850w and go with 1000w?

My audio interface is a Scarlett 2i2 with Rokit RP5 monitors. But I am also now getting the buzzing through my headphones plugged into the audio jack on my pc case. They are some cheap turtle beach things.

I believe it grounded properly. I have had no issues like that.