[SOLVED] Audio Crackle followed by small lagspike while gaming

Apr 4, 2022
Hello,
I recently reinstalled Windows 10 after using Linux for a while, just out of curiosity and wanting to get back into using Windows. After installing all drivers and such, I have been noticing small lag spikes followed by a noticable audio crackle while playing games like WoW Classic and Terraria. Nothing shows up in Event Viewer when this occurs and all hardware usage appears to be fine. Any ideas?

Hardware:
CPU - Ryzen 9 3950X @ 3.5GHz
RAM - 2x16GB DDR4 @ 3600MHz
SSD - INTEL SSDPEKNW010T8
GPU - AMD Radeon RX 6700XT
Motherboard - ASUS ROG Strix X570-E Gaming (BIOS ver: 4204)

PSU - 700W
OS - Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (ver: 21H2)

Thanks!

Solution
Thank you for the reply!
However, sorry to ask but, do you have any solid PSU recommendations for my build? Thanks in advance.
Take a look at this, I’d pick from the tier A and go with 650w or higher, whatever is on offer near you

The Corsair RMx are usually a good price/choice.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

700W is the advertised wattage of the unit. What is the make and model of your PSU? How old is the unit? Where did you source the installer for your OS? As for your drivers, did you install all relevant drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator? Which two slots are the sticks of ram populating on the motherboard? X.M.P or manually input in BIOS for your ram timings/settings?

Apr 4, 2022
Thanks! As for the questions..
  1. Thermaltake SMART series 700W, going on about roughly a year old
  2. Microsoft's official website for their media creation tool
  3. Yes, each driver required administrator access as far as im aware
  4. Slot 2 and 4
  5. D.O.C.P. (pretty much the same as XMP in this usecase)

Apr 4, 2022
Thanks! As for the questions..
  1. Thermaltake SMART series 700W, going on about roughly a year old
  2. Microsoft's official website for their media creation tool
  3. Yes, each driver required administrator access as far as im aware
  4. Slot 2 and 4
  5. D.O.C.P. (pretty much the same as XMP in this usecase)
Update: I've noticed that Logitech G-Hub crashes my entire sound system and svchost when I use a sound macro. I would rather fix the issue than go without it considering I have two devices I use with it.

Apr 4, 2022
I've been considering RMAing my motherboard (if it is applicable) given the issues im encountering. Do you guys think that's a good idea? Audio crackle issues are persisting & my system has BSOD'd quite a few times (SYSTEM_EXCEPTION)

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 4, 2022
Crackling audio can be power related or could be motherboard soundcard related. However you psu is on the lower quality side. I’d consider a psu upgrade before RMA’ing the board.
Thank you for the reply!
However, sorry to ask but, do you have any solid PSU recommendations for my build? Thanks in advance.

Thank you for the reply!
Take a look at this, I’d pick from the tier A and go with 650w or higher, whatever is on offer near you

The Corsair RMx are usually a good price/choice.

Solution
Apr 4, 2022
The power supply has arrived and I have installed it. I haven't done much testing today, but I did notice that my previous power supply only had an 8-pin connector for the CPU whilst my mobo has 12-pins to plug into. Could this have been the issue?

Apr 4, 2022
Update: Installed the PSU when it arrived nearly a week ago, and I've experienced none of the issues listed above. In all 5 years of me building PCs and doing repairs, I NEVER would've thought that anything besides the connectors and wattage ratings would matter to this extent. Thank you.