Question Audio Crackling in headphones

Aug 27, 2020
Recently moved cross country with my PC, and now only static plays through any headphones through any line-out port. Bluetooth headphones play sound normally. I've updated my audio drivers, but no change. Any input is appreciated
Link to the sound
EDIT: Fixed the link to include sound

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2020
I couldn't hear any sound.

Have you tried your headphones to another device? What model name?
The headphones are an older razer kraken 7.1 surround. They work well with other devices, and the sound problem is not limited to them, but happens with any wired headphones. Imgur uploaded the video without sound, but I will update the link to one with sound, thanks for pointing that out.

Aug 27, 2020
I think the next step is to test if the failure is hardware or software related.

First : Does this problem exist on all programs or just some?
The problem exists at all times, not only when audio is playing. Even with everything closed on the desktop, when I plug the headphones into line out, the noise starts

Just to rule out software as root cause - Can you try to boot up a Linux Live CD/DVD/USB image (most of the big and known one should work, like Ubuntu, Mint, etc) and try to play something from youtube or maybe a local sound file just to see if it still the same or not ?

Aug 27, 2020
Just to rule out software as root cause - Can you try to boot up a Linux Live CD/DVD/USB image (most of the big and known one should work, like Ubuntu, Mint, etc) and try to play something from youtube or maybe a local sound file just to see if it still the same or not ?
When I booted Ubuntu I got NO sound at all, so it fixed the sound coming out but instead, I had no sound at all.

Aug 27, 2020
Just get to think about something. Can you check what audio output is actually in use, maybe windows think it's supposed to redirect to hdmi ?
My output is set as Realtek Digital Output (Realtek High definition audio) as default, and changing it to Speakers (Realtek High definition audio) doesn't change the sound