Audio cutting, buzzing, videos freezing, games freezing, dying graphics card?

bulletinaction

Reputable
Mar 23, 2014
Hi everyone. Two nights ago I was playing BF4 when something weird happened. I got a little framerate error in the corner, even though I was running at 90-100 frames. Then my audio would cut completely silent in my headphones for 1-2 seconds, restore for half a second, then do it again. If I unplug my headphones it still does it, but rather buzzes. I thought it was BF4 until I tried watching videos on youtube. Same thing. I updated to latest Nvidia drivers, did a checkup with audio drivers, everything else, nothing. Could my graphics card be dying? Dust in the computer? Power supply?

CPU: i5 4430
GPU: GTX 660
RAM: 16 GB RAM

Jak_Sparra

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2006

Could be dust, get some air in a can and check all case fans and graphics card fans as well as PSU fans. Sometimes if you are careful, just some cotton buds and blowing will do.

Make sure everything is seated correctly and has not come loose, make sure all cables are snug.

Completely remove the old driver for your sound and graphics and put the news ones back in.

If you have an old GPU then stick that in and check a couple of youtube videos to see what happens.

At this stage though it could be PSU, GPU or Motherboard. It is probably not CPU or RAM.

bulletinaction

Reputable
Mar 23, 2014

My computer looks hecka dusty. I will get an air compressor and clean out the dust in the places. If it was my motherboard or PSU, wouldn't my computer be completely nonfunctional? That's the last thing I wanna replace.

Jak_Sparra

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2006

It's probably just dust, I used to have a 780GTX and it was a beast back in the day, played everything maxed out until I started playing Never Winter Nights 2. It would crash to desktop, blue screen, restart or get suck on a repeating sound glitch. I looked in case and all looked fine, I made sure everything was seated in firmly. I ended up reinstalling windows and all my drivers etc etc.. Made no difference. In the end I took the card out to look for any blown caps. What I found was that the fans were heavy with dust. I cleaned it all off with cotton buds, tooth brush and blowing the dust out. It work like a charm. I hope it's the same thing for you bro.

bulletinaction

Reputable
Mar 23, 2014

I've narrowed down my search. I tested my harddrive in the command prompt and it's fine, did the windows RAM analysis, came out fine. I tested my CPU temperatures, fine. Did your card have frame-jumping/repeating and audio buzzing before you cleaned out the dust in your card? It seems weird, my card's temperatures are like 35C, could it still be dust even though it's running cool? Thanks.