[SOLVED] Audio Desync AMD HDMI

Does it work

Reputable
Jun 3, 2017
3400g, Aorus x570 i pro wifi

Have latest drivers from the manufacturer, Windows 10 OS Build 1909

When using speakers into the headphone jack there is no problem (uses realtek), but the computer was made to be relatively easy to transport, as such isnt meant to carry speakers around with it, and just work using HDMI audio connection, however the HDMI uses the AMD High Def audio drivers, which seems to desync from videos and the sort after a short while, which is super annoying, any ideas? Tried on multiple monitors (and TVs 4k content isnt as interesting when it looks badly dubbed), and the monitors with other pcs, the problem does stem from the pc, but can't get it to resolve itself.

TDLR: How to get audio to sync up with hdmi display.

Last edited:
Solution
Problem was HPET mis behaving.

Disable with an elevated command prompt (admin) bcdedit /set useplatformclock false (true to re-enable)

Or in device manager 》system devices 》High Precision Event Timer 》Disable

Or even both if you want just to be sure.

Lutfij

Titan
See if you're on the latest chipset drivers for your platform, then source the latest drivers from AMD's support site. manually install the drivers in an elevated command, i.e Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

To note, which version of Windows 10 are you working with?

Does it work

Reputable
Jun 3, 2017
See if you're on the latest chipset drivers for your platform, then source the latest drivers from AMD's support site. manually install the drivers in an elevated command, i.e Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

To note, which version of Windows 10 are you working with?

Tried this already (Bios is v11), but to humor myself i did it all again with DDU, but problem still persists.

Reinstalled :
  • Bios Flash v11
  • Chipset Driver 1.11.22.0454
  • Radeon Adrenalin 202 Ed. 19.12.3
  • Realtek Audio 6.0.8688.1 & Realtek HD Audio 6.0.8854.1
  • Wifi/Bluetooth Drivers 21.50.1.1
  • Lan Drivers 23.5.3
Maybe missed something, was in a rush. Can't find the AMD hdmi specific drivers manually though, only the realtek. The HDMI outputs seem to use the AMD audio drivers exclusively.

EDIT: So Came back to it after a boot off to test again and now audio gone entirely yay. Device manager registers both realtek and AMD high def as generic "High Definition Audio Device", and checking for windows updates gives error 0x80070422, feel like I've just gone and made the problem worse

Edit 2: Resolved all that (was using a system device as the audio device!?), got it back now whatever went wrong, what probably affecting the first test, ill try again after dinner

Edit 3: It seemed fine for a little while, but alas it did desync after a little bit (like originally did)

Might be a processioning delay between the Audio and Video, maybe possible solutions to that. The screen i have for testing atm (moving around) is the Hisense 65N7.

TDLR: Didn't work, any other ideas?

Last edited:

zero_l0gic

Reputable
Aug 17, 2018
Its a driver problem, had the same thing (with some other issues) on my rx5700xt. I basicly bought new mobo, new psu, new monitor and still same problems tried for a month to fix it but no luck. Do you know how i fixed my issue? Nvidia rtx2070super (i know ill get alot of hate for this) but after a month of support forums, AMD emails who siad its my hardware i got a whole new build (cpu and memory where same, rest is out of the box new hardware), countless DDUs and windows reinstalls later got feed up with this and asked my friend to give me his gpu rtx2060 super and i had no problem. So I bought nvidia and it works like a charm, and returned all new hardware i bought. And set my Rx5700xt on fire and sent it to AMD.

Does it work

Reputable
Jun 3, 2017
Problem was HPET mis behaving.

Disable with an elevated command prompt (admin) bcdedit /set useplatformclock false (true to re-enable)

Or in device manager 》system devices 》High Precision Event Timer 》Disable

Or even both if you want just to be sure.

Solution