Question Audio device constantly switching itself

Bongert

Reputable
Jul 30, 2020
Out of nowhere my headphones made super loud crackling noises and it doesnt seem to be the headphones themselves. i tried another pair of headphones and replugged all audio cables including the audio header on the motherboard.
When i check the soundmanager i can see the currently selected audio device constantly switching around between my monitor and my headphones even when they arent even connected anymore. When deactivating the headphones they constantly show up and disappear again in the deactivated list. Heres a video of it, and note that im not doing anything at all. im not tugging any cables or even moving my mouse. restarting also didnt help. Also, as soon as i activate the headphones again the entire settings window becomes super slow and unresponsive.
I've updated all my drivers as well, before anyone asks
i should add, audio from my monitors works fine, though i usually dont use it.
ive also done a windows reinstall now. It didnt sovle the issue.
UserBenchmarks: Game 64%, Desk 110%, Work 87%
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 - 78%
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060-6GB - 59%
SSD: Samsung 970 Evo NVMe PCIe M.2 500GB - 254.1%
SSD: Samsung 860 Evo 500GB - 115.5%
HDD: WD Blue 1TB (2012) - 33.1%
HDD: WD Blue 4TB (2015) - 85.4%
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000 C15 2x8GB - 94.9%
MBD: MSI B450 GAMING PLUS (MS-7B86)
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/31349811
note that the drives are in midst of operation but i doubt they are relevant to the issue anyways.
Update: i dont know why, i didnt restart the pc since the last comment i gave but the issue just disappeared. ive not done anything to the system, it just works again. i assume itll randomly return at some point tho, ill update again if that happens.
Update2: yeah, not even an hour later and it returned, but now it only lasts for under a minute and goes away again, but comes back pretty soon after again.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS.

Noted that you reinstalled the audio drivers. However, consider reinstalling the audio applications you use as well.

Run the built-in Windows Troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

Run "sfc /scannow" via the Command Prompt to find and fix possible corrupted Windows files.

Look in Reliability History. The logs may be capturing some error code, warning, or even an informational event.

Bongert

Reputable
Jul 30, 2020
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS.

Noted that you reinstalled the audio drivers. However, consider reinstalling the audio applications you use as well.

Run the built-in Windows Troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

Run "sfc /scannow" via the Command Prompt to find and fix possible corrupted Windows files.

Look in Reliability History. The logs may be capturing some error code, warning, or even an informational event.
what do you mean with audio applications? if you mean stuff like spotify, i dont use any of that.
the command didnt find anything and the reliability history looks like this and i guess it didnt find anything either by the looks of it.

Last edited: