[SOLVED] Audio Driver Realtek for Asus Z97 Ranger

Kryptkeeper

Honorable
Nov 19, 2015
Currently using 6.0.1.7829 (the last release by Asus for this board). In a game I was having stutter issues and whatever it's called where it's like there's too many sounds for it to handle and it sounds like your headphones are going to break. Now to be clear the game is Arkham Knight and the pc port weren't that great so it could just be that title. But it got me checking my audio driver regardless. From Realteks site I find myself HERE which appears to offer a newer driver R2.82 6.0.1.8186 from 2017/07/26. But looking around I see people using drivers as recent as 6.0.1.8862 which only seem to be available from 3rd party sites? Which driver version should I be using? Realtek suggests sticking with the Asus release (my current driver) as it could be a tweaked version specifically for the board for optimum performance. Are the latest drivers only good for more recent chipsets? Should I just try it?

Solution
Hi there,

I'd definitely stick with your motherboard's specific drivers. If you can't find a newer version of the driver, maybe try re-installing the current driver (the one you're using now), as it might clear up the issue. Alternatively, if you notice other issues with the drivers, or are just unhappy with them, you can always roll back to standard Microsoft drivers. I personally can't stand Realtek's drivers, as I find that they have alot of bugs and compatibility issues. Hope this helps :)

SparkyTech934

Reputable
Jan 22, 2020
Hi there,

I'd definitely stick with your motherboard's specific drivers. If you can't find a newer version of the driver, maybe try re-installing the current driver (the one you're using now), as it might clear up the issue. Alternatively, if you notice other issues with the drivers, or are just unhappy with them, you can always roll back to standard Microsoft drivers. I personally can't stand Realtek's drivers, as I find that they have alot of bugs and compatibility issues. Hope this helps :)

Solution