Audio Driver Update causes Blue Screen on Death

Aug 18, 2013
Hello everyone!

My friend has recently reinstalled Windows XP on their Travelmate 240 and everything is running perfectly apart from the audio driver. The audio driver cannot install because halfway through the installation the Blue Screen of Death appears and the laptop restarts. However I managed to install the driver in Safe Mode but then Windows was stuck in a restart loop. I ran checks and Windows said the restart loop was due to the new driver installed, the audio one.

Is there something I can do or shall I just admit defeat and tell them to use USB speakers?

Thank you!

Caleb.

hulkbuster

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
If the problem seem to be the Audio drivers, i would like to know how did you install them i.e., through some drivers checker application or through some source.
If the checks you mentioned is due to audio drivers, few things you can do:

1)Try uninstalling them once you are in Safe mode.
2)Download this application HWiNFO32 v4.50 for Windows from here:
HWiNFO32]http://www.hwinfo.com/download.php]HWiNFO32 v4.50 Download -32bit x 64bit[/url]
3)Run this application and check the Mother board chipset information, type that name in google and
search for the desired audio drivers.
4)If you do not know how to do that, then give the Chipset information here in your reply, i'll redirect you
to the desired website.

Then see what happens.

P.S: I tried Step 2&3 in a dozen of computers with success. It should work for you too.

Aug 18, 2013
Thank you for your reply! :D

I tried to let Windows download all the drivers but it could not find one for the audio, I believe it is the AC '97 Audio driver. Therefore I found this driver myself via the Acer website.

I have tried re-installing and unisntalling in Safe Mode, all that happens is that when I reboot into Windows outside of Safe Mode I get a start-up loop.

I will try that software, thank you :)

Caleb.