• Now's your chance win big! Join our community and get entered to win a RTX 2060 GPU, plus more! Join here.

Meet Stan Dmitriev of SurrogateTV on the Pi Cast TODAY! The show is live August 11th at 2:30 pm ET (7:30 PM BST). Watch live right here!

Professional PC modder Mike Petereyns joins Scharon on the Tom's Hardware Show live on Thursday, August 13th at 3:00 pm ET (8:00 PM BST). Click here!

Question Audio fine on monitor's jack but crackling on PC's

framtk

Reputable
Mar 9, 2017
Hello everyone,
while trying to troubleshoot my audio issues I found out that when my headphones are connected to the rear audio jack on my tower (Asus ROG Strix Z390-F and RTX 2080S) the audio is noticeably crackling but it's fine if I connect my headphones to the monitor's headphone jack (ASUS TUF VG27A connected with DP).
I was wondering if both the MOBO and monitor use the same audio driver when there are headphones attached or they use a different one (E.G. realtek on MOBO and Nvidia on monitor).
Right now I've troubleshooted pretty much all I could think of including uninstalling and reinstalling the audio driver multiple times, switching headphones, trying them on a different PC, trying them in safe mode and formatting my windows installation.

I already have a broken front 3.5mm jack (sound come only out of the left earmuff) due to an unfortunate hit that slightly bent the hole and probably broke something inside so that's not really an option.

framtk

Reputable
Mar 9, 2017
Does the sound that comes out the left ear crackle from the front jack?

If not...it may be easier replacing the front jack.
It doesn't seem to.
I could also just use the monitor's jack, it's just that I really hate knowing having something like a bad driver installed (if that's the case) that's why I'm wondering if it could be that the monitor and back connector use different drivers to reproduce sound

Also regarding the front jack it's a little more tricky said than done since the jack is "encased" in the case aluminium and that is bent too so I would need to either cut it out or maybe really hammer away at it

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS