Audio from dual monitors using HDMI & DVI

TheDarkPassenger

Reputable
Sep 10, 2014
Hi,

I am looking to buy a new monitor, the Benq xl2411z (to have dual monitors) and will have one connected by hdmi (my current monitor) and the new one connected by Dvi (to be able to get 120hz).

However, the new monitor does not have external speakers. I use the Razer kraken 7.1 headset for my audio which is connected by USB into the pc.

Will I be able to hear the audio from both monitors using my headset?

Thanks.

Solution
What you're saying has nothing to do with the monitors.
If you connect your headset to the motherboard / sound card, you will hear every single sound coming from your computer, regardless of the position of the windows (whether a music player is running on the second screen while you're gaming on the first monitor - you will hear every single sound coming out of the computer). A window's position does not affect whether you will hear sounds coming from it or not when you are connected to the sound card on your motherboard.
What you could've thought was that HDMI allows sound to be transferred towards the screen and DVI does not carry sound, therefore you might not be able to hear stuff from the software on the screen connected through...

goku1234567890

Distinguished
I don't get it what are you tying to ask? If the head sets are connected to the PC why would the sound come from the monitor. And if you are asking that if you connect the both the monitors and if both monitors have speakers so no the monitor which is only connected by HDMI would produce not the one connected with DVI since DVI is only for video not audio.

TheDarkPassenger

Reputable
Sep 10, 2014

Ah, I might not of phrased my question well.

The main question I was asking was, if I have the headset connected into the computer, will I be able to hear the sound from both monitors. For example; if i had a game playing on one, and a video playing on the other, will I be able to hear both?

Thanks.

3ogdy

Distinguished
What you're saying has nothing to do with the monitors.
If you connect your headset to the motherboard / sound card, you will hear every single sound coming from your computer, regardless of the position of the windows (whether a music player is running on the second screen while you're gaming on the first monitor - you will hear every single sound coming out of the computer). A window's position does not affect whether you will hear sounds coming from it or not when you are connected to the sound card on your motherboard.
What you could've thought was that HDMI allows sound to be transferred towards the screen and DVI does not carry sound, therefore you might not be able to hear stuff from the software on the screen connected through DVI. - it doesn't work that way since you connect the headphones to your computer motherboard, so yes...you WILL hear every sound coming from your PC.

Even though the Razer Kraken 7.1 headset will have its own sound processing hardware, you will still hear anything that makes any sound.

Solution