Question Audio From Streaming Services

Feb 15, 2019
I am interested in switching from cable to a streaming service such as YouTube TV or Vue. However, except for some on-demand content, the streamed video from these services is not sent with 5.1 audio and I understand why.

My questions are:

1. Can a more modern A/V receiver upconvert the signal to 5.1 or at least something better than the 2.1 that is delivered or is this not something that is possible because to get 5.1 you have to receive 5.1 (my receiver is ~9 years old and has pro logic and NEO but I am not clear on whether these will do what I am asking)?

2. If conversion is possible, are there shortcomings that could be created by a conversion such as lag between video and audio?

It would be tough to have a 5.1 setup, as I do, and not enjoy the benefits.

Thank you in advance for any replies.

1. I call these FAKE SURROUND and personally I don't like them. U try them and see if u like.
  2. Dunno, am usually not sensitive to a little lag.

I just answered, basically, the same question on 2 threads above this. Everybody want their 6,8,10,20 speakers blaring, from a plain stereo source. Well I will let you read those 2 threads, because they do answer your question.

I am interested in switching from cable to a streaming service such as YouTube TV or Vue. However, except for some on-demand content, the streamed video from these services is not sent with 5.1 audio and I understand why.

My questions are:

1. Can a more modern A/V receiver upconvert the signal to 5.1 or at least something better than the 2.1 that is delivered or is this not something that is possible because to get 5.1 you have to receive 5.1 (my receiver is ~9 years old and has pro logic and NEO but I am not clear on whether these will do what I am asking)?

2. If conversion is possible, are there shortcomings that could be created by a conversion such as lag between video and audio?

It would be tough to have a 5.1 setup, as I do, and not enjoy the benefits.

Thank you in advance for any replies.

Going from stereo to surround sound is like baking a cake then asking to extract the flour, sugar and eggs from it to re-use them. Or mixing up white and black paint to get grey then asking to take only white paint for the walls and black paint for the ceiling from that grey bucket. How will the paintbrush be able to tell what color is what if it's mixed?

5.1 audio has Center, L/R and Rear L/R channels in the audio part. The 5.1 system then takes those signals and routes them to the correct speakers.
Stereo has L and R audio info, all a surround system can do in this case is send the same L and R audio to the rear and center speakers, which will be just sending the same audio from all speakers. Not really surround sound, just stereo but coming from all sides.