Question Audio is being used by another app. error msg after switching GPU

silversmithy

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2012
So this is getting frustrating as it seems to happen every time I switch from an Nvidia card to AMD. I have been wanting to play some old games on a Windows 7 PC, (specifically NFS Carbon). Finally got it to install and actually run, but no audio. Previous card was a GT 9400, and had an old HD 6450 sitting around so I thought why not at least do a little upgrade.
I did forget to run DDU prior to switching cards, but did run it afterwards to clean up, and then installed legacy drivers again.
The HD 6450 is recognized in device manager and AMD high definition audio. Is also showing up. I go into the audio settings and try to run a test, but I get the error msg that audio is being used by another app., but I check and no app is even showing up there.
The audio icon in the right lower corner shows a TV. When I click to raise or lower the volume no sound or animation from the speaker icon.
Last time this happened I ended up just going with another Nvidia card as I could not get any audio at all. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

silversmithy

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2012
Went ahead and ran DDU again and removed all drivers for both Nvidia and AMD. The thing is that every time I run DDU it finds Nvidia drivers still there, but everytime it says they have been removed.
I reinstalled drivers directly from the AMD website, and same problem.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Have you run the DirectX 9.0C sdk? That'll contain many audio drivers not found in gpu drivers. Also check your windows audio settings, and make sure default is set for the appropriate speakers, and the level is set right. If you are seeing a TV symbol, often that means audio is being sent to the monitor and if that level is set at 0, turning the master up does nothing.

silversmithy

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2012
I have not run the directx sdk, but can give it a try. Volume on TV is at 50 and no sound. I can almost guarantee though that if I put an Nvidia GPU back in the audio issue will not exist. Frustrating. Well I do have a gt 1030 that I can try, but I only have a 300 watt PSU so not sure of long term use. Thanks for the info.

silversmithy

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2012
Any other ideas? I have researched in other areas and many are saying to just find the app that is using the audio, and then go to the task manager and stop it. The thing is no other app is actually using it.

I will go ahead and try a different TV and see what happens. I am doubtful though.

silversmithy

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2012
So far nothing has worked so I just plugged in some small external speakers and at least I have sound. In device manager both high definition audio, and AMD high definition audio are both listed.

Before hooking up the external speakers I tried disabling the high definition audio but still no sound through the TV and same old app using audio issue msg.

Oh well.