Question Audio Issue - no audio from aux jack

whiddena

Reputable
Mar 27, 2017
Here's a rundown of what I've tried
  • different headphones/earbuds make no difference. Sound works through bluetooth and monitor but never direct jack.
  • tried front panel ports and all back panel ports.
  • updated the audio driver, tested, then reinstalled the audio driver
  • reverted to an older version of windows, tested, then reinstalled windows from factory
  • checked the physical cables when the PC was powered down. Made sure all audio pins were in correct ports
Here's the issue
No sound plays through headphones when I plug into any of the aux jacks on my desktop PC. I am using the default HDAD driver. When I run a sound test in advanced properties of the digital audio device (set as default device) the level (green bar) spikes, but no amount of volume changing produces audio.

This may also be relevant
When I go into the list of playback devices this is what I find: when plugged into the rear jack the plug is detected under "Speakers" and available. When plugged into the front jack the plug is not detected at all. When the headphone is plugged directly into the monitor, It still doesn't work. I have tried this with 4 different headsets/earbuds. No combination produces sound

A big thank you if we can get it working and hopefully help others with similar issue

Specs
Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit (V1511 Build 10586.0)
AMD FX-6300
ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0
GeForce GTX 1060
Seagate ST2000DM001

Last edited:
Hello

Can you please confirm how old the PC is, and if the problem you mentioned as occurred recently or was there right from the start?

Also, please check if any BIOS update for your Motherboard is available on the vendor's official website? If so, flashing it could do the trick.

Feel free to report back for any further assistance.

Cheers!!

when windows update did an under the bonnet change to the sound panel tabs it made weird things happen , one day I could plug my headset in and it would cancel speakers , another day I would have to go to sound settings and sort it.

This is how to fix your problem , open the sound panel and scroll down to RELATED SETTINGS.
Click on sound control panel to open another section , look at the tab called playback.
Looked down the list and you should see "speakers" Realtek high def audio marked as default device with a green tick on it.
Click properties and this will open a general tab , on this sheet click levels and look at where the sliders are set,

whiddena

Reputable
Mar 27, 2017
when windows update did an under the bonnet change to the sound panel tabs it made weird things happen , one day I could plug my headset in and it would cancel speakers , another day I would have to go to sound settings and sort it.

This is how to fix your problem , open the sound panel and scroll down to RELATED SETTINGS.
Click on sound control panel to open another section , look at the tab called playback.
Looked down the list and you should see "speakers" Realtek high def audio marked as default device with a green tick on it.
Click properties and this will open a general tab , on this sheet click levels and look at where the sliders are set,
Hello, and thank you for responding.

I can't find related settings in the sound panel. Are you sure we are running the same version? Also it seems like your post was abruptly cut off

whiddena

Reputable
Mar 27, 2017
Hello

Can you please confirm how old the PC is, and if the problem you mentioned as occurred recently or was there right from the start?

Also, please check if any BIOS update for your Motherboard is available on the vendor's official website? If so, flashing it could do the trick.

Feel free to report back for any further assistance.

Cheers!!

Hello, the computer is almost 4 years old and the issue happened suddenly about a year ago, been living with the issue, but new hobbies will require a headset. The bios is up to date apparently. I can not remember the problem coinciding with any other event