[SOLVED] Audio issue - related to bad CPU installation?

naroslife

Honorable
Jan 3, 2014
Hello there!

I rebuilt my pc with a new cooler and had a hard time mounting it. It caused an issue where 2 of my DIMM slots were not working and the PC couldn't POST with RAMs inserted in those slots. I remounted the cooler, also reinserted the CPU, now all the DIMM slots are working, but this audio issue popped up:

When powering on the PC the speakers make a loud popping sound (I only use the green output, the one for front speakers in a 5.1 setup). Also the audio became very quiet even with all volumes cranked. I reinstalled the drivers and also verified with a bootable Ubuntu that it's not OS related, but rather lower level I think. To be clear there's sound, just very very quiet.

Can bad CPU contacts (or bent pins) caused by improper/too tight cooler mounting manifest in this kind of issue?

Regards,
naroslife

EDIT: Just the front speaker out is quiet. Rear speaker and center/subwoofer output works normal.

Last edited:
Solution
Alright from what ive heard it sounds like your speaker output is busted. Considering the other output works but your front doesnt then i really dont see why. Plus you wouldnt have an audio issue from cpu installation.
Aug 22, 2020
Alright from what ive heard it sounds like your speaker output is busted. Considering the other output works but your front doesnt then i really dont see why. Plus you wouldnt have an audio issue from cpu installation.

Solution
Hello there!

I rebuilt my pc with a new cooler and had a hard time mounting it. It caused an issue where 2 of my DIMM slots were not working and the PC couldn't POST with RAMs inserted in those slots. I remounted the cooler, also reinserted the CPU, now all the DIMM slots are working, but this audio issue popped up:

When powering on the PC the speakers make a loud popping sound (I only use the green output, the one for front speakers in a 5.1 setup). Also the audio became very quiet even with all volumes cranked. I reinstalled the drivers and also verified with a bootable Ubuntu that it's not OS related, but rather lower level I think. To be clear there's sound, just very very quiet.

Can bad CPU contacts (or bent pins) caused by improper/too tight cooler mounting manifest in this kind of issue?

Regards,
naroslife

EDIT: Just the front speaker out is quiet. Rear speaker and center/subwoofer output works normal.
Is the plug fully inserted into the jack?