Audio issues from custom built PC

Dec 29, 2018
Hi Everyone,

I built a PC a little while back, it has a AsRock K6 motherboard, and I've installed all of the drivers from their website.

I am having an issue where the monitor I have connected makes a crackling sound (regardless of whether the audio is muted or not on the PC). The only way to stop this sound is to make the volume zero on the monitor itself using the hardware buttons on the monitor.

The other issue is when I plug in headphones to the front audio port and listen to anything, the audio is distorted. Also, when headphones are plugged in, the crackling sound from the monitor continues.

I've googled and tried everything I could think of (uninstall and reinstall drivers, reset the cables, try a different set of headphones, try a different auxiliary cable, etc.) and I just can't figure it out. The monitor and headphones work fine when plugged in to other devices.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Education, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700K CPU @ 3.70GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 158 Stepping 10
Processor Count: 12
RAM: 16053 Mb
Graphics Card: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630, 1024 Mb
Hard Drives: C: 930 GB (856 GB Free); D: 452 GB (288 GB Free);
Motherboard: ASRock, Z370 Gaming K6
Antivirus: Avast Antivirus, Enabled and Updated

My thoughts, faulty sound card which I know is part of the motherboard or faulty psu. Dirty power can cause odd audio issues. If you have another psu try that, otherwise I’d look into returning the motherboard as my guess is this is more likely. Without swapping hardware I’m not sure how you can diagnose the source of the problem.

Dec 29, 2018

Do you think that potentially the audio wires/cables touching other cables inside the PC (optical, hdd, PSU, etc.) could be causing the issue. Can that induce static and noises into the audio lines?