Question Audio issues on MSI MAG B550M MORTAR WIFI - 3.5mm audio jacks do not detect devices ?

Jan 10, 2022
I have been having audio issues since November with my motherboard and I was wondering if someone can help. My 3.5mm jacks on my setup including the front and back ones, do not detect any devices plugged into them. I never had issues with my audio until I brought my computer into a repair shop for an unrelated issue and the repair person deleted a bunch of audio drivers trying to figure out a USB problem I was facing. I still have no idea why he did that but since he did that, when Windows restored the audio drivers once restarted, it never worked again.

I tried deleting the drivers and reinstalling them multiple times. I downloaded the audio drivers from my motherboards website including the most recent one from December. I downloaded an audio driver from Realtek directly. But still I am unable to receive audio through 3.5mm ports on my PC. The only way I can listen to audio is through USB ports on my device.

I tried to restore windows to a time prior to him trying to repair my computer but unfortunately too much time passed and I was unable to find a restore point that was old enough.
I reinstalled windows and I also tried to repair windows through their media creation tool. Still no audio with my audio jacks.

I also posted this issue on the Microsoft community (https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...s-do-not/0de06082-2444-403c-823a-75e81d78263c) and still have not been able to fix this issue after all the suggestions.

I do not understand how something small could cause such a significant issue on my computer. I tried multiple different 3.5mm devices just in case, 3 pairs of headphones and an aux speaker but none of them are detected when plugged in. I disabled the front panel detection as well as I saw that as a common recommendation, still no audio. I also updated to the newest BIOS because I wanted to try literally everything but it did not fix it either.

If anyone has any other recommendations I would be eternally grateful! Thank you so much.

Jan 10, 2022
Have you checked Device Manager to see if the repair guy disabled anything in the "Sound, video & game controllers" category ?

Hi there,

Great suggestion. I did not even think to try that but unfortunately I was unable to see anything disabled that would affect the audio. I will attach a screenshot of what is displayed when viewing my device manager.

C0lPXf.png