Pawlik

Prominent
Dec 21, 2021
Hello!
My problem is that since a couple of weeks ago, my headphones buzz whenever I touch my metal keyboard.
I noticed many similar problems but most of them were either for laptops or reversed (headphones would stop buzzing whenever someone touched metal)
Those audio problems affect my microphones too, there is always buzzing on my main PC (my second PC doesn't have those issues).

Additionaly, after I updated my drivers, now whenever I hit my headphones microphone or speak loud enough, I hear it in my headphones and / or speakers!
I checked it multiple times but there is no "listening to the microphone" option turned on.

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include all audio components, cables, and how they are connected.

This:

"since a couple of weeks ago, my headphones buzz whenever I touch my metal keyboard. "

And you made no physical changes to the hardware: components or connection paths - correct?

Or if you did ("a couple of weeks ago") what did you change?

My thought is that an electrical short has developed somewhere and that now when you touch the metal keyboard that allows current to flow where it should not flow.

And if that electrical current also moves through the headphones (as appears to be the case) then you hear the buzz.

Pawlik

Prominent
Dec 21, 2021
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include all audio components, cables, and how they are connected.

This:

"since a couple of weeks ago, my headphones buzz whenever I touch my metal keyboard. "

And you made no physical changes to the hardware: components or connection paths - correct?

Or if you did ("a couple of weeks ago") what did you change?

My thought is that an electrical short has developed somewhere and that now when you touch the metal keyboard that allows current to flow where it should not flow.

And if that electrical current also moves through the headphones (as appears to be the case) then you hear the buzz.

Im sorry for late response!
I wasn't using PC that much lately.
In terms of audio hardware - all I have is the motherboard's audio card (), a microphone (which is not relevant but has an issue of buzzing on my PC, while not on a pc in the same house, that belongs to my sis: Mozos MKIT-800PRO V2 )

The headphones are also: Sharkoon Skiller SGH1

here is my power supply:
SilentiumPC Supremo FM2 650W 80 Plus Gold

And here is my motherboard:

Gigabyte B450M DS3H

In terms of hardware there were no changes other than switching one hdd for a better one (the old one was faulty)
I did 'update' the audio drivers, in hopes of getting that "noise cancelation" option, thinking that it might change something (it did not). Only thing it did is that my realtek audio console says that it doesn't support this device, and the before mentioned buzzing in headphones and me hearing my voice in the headphones when talking loud enough to the headphone's microphone, which started to occur right after that

Ralston18

Titan
This:

"Only thing it did is that my realtek audio console says that it doesn't support this device"

Device being the Sharkroon Skiller - correct?

When it comes to audio you very much have to methodically work through trying the headphones on different audio devices and other known working headphones/headsets on your computer.

All the more so if this is a mix and match of audio devices, adapters, cables, etc.

FYI:

https://www.cablechick.com.au/blog/understanding-trrs-and-audio-jacks/

There may some mismatch in connectivity.

Also, take a look at the full connectivity involved: power, audio cables, etc. - an audio ground loop might be present.

Starter link:

https://tmb.com/docs/tech-tips/TT22-DealingwithAudioGroundLoops.pdf

Also going to move your thread from Components to Home Audio. More applicable category.