Question Audio jack stopped working on new laptop

Jul 12, 2023
Hello everyone!

I've recently bought an ASUS Vivobook laptop and everything was fine until all of a sudden the headphone jack stopped working.

Everything was up-to-date, I didn't install anything or touch any setting, but just like that, there was no sound on my headphones. The speakers worked fine, and Windows recognized the headphones, but nothing.

Tried unplugging/plugging back in the headphones, uninstalling/reinstalling the audio drivers, ran Windows troubleshooters, tried enabling/disabling devices on Device Manager, tinkered with several audio settings after watching some YouTube ''fixes'', tried plugging in new headphones, rebooted and shutdown the laptop countless times etc.

Finally, decided to format Windows and there was still no sound. I thought it was a hardware problem and that the audio jack went kaput. Put the laptop down for the day and was already thinking of returning it when I tried connecting the headphones once more and this time everything was fine.

Can anyone please explain to me what's happening here? I feel like this is the type of issue that comes back once in a while, and I obviously can't format/let go of the laptop for long periods of time every time it happens.

I'd really appreciate your input. Thanks.

PassMark

Distinguished
Doesn't fix the problem. But there are lots of good USB headphones, if the jack really is intermittent.

Most common problem with headphones is the tiny thin wires in the audio cable breaking. Bend the cable the wrong way and it stops working. Did you try a 2nd set of headphones at any point?

Jul 12, 2023
Doesn't fix the problem. But there are lots of good USB headphones, if the jack really is intermittent.

Most common problem with headphones is the tiny thin wires in the audio cable breaking. Bend the cable the wrong way and it stops working. Did you try a 2nd set of headphones at any point?
Yeah, tried several headphones and still no sound. Then tinkered with every audio setting possible, so to speak, to no avail. Lastly, formatted Windows11 and still nothing. Until sound inexplicably came though the headphones again (still working as of now). I just can't wrap my head around what caused it and how to fix the issue should it come back (I'm believe it unfortunately will).

TRENDING THREADS