Audio not working after a motherboard upgrade

Sep 3, 2018
Hi. So a few months back I upgraded my rig to a Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3 Rev 1.0 board. Every since then, I've had constant audio problems. For the last few months I've just been plugging in my audio through my monitor, but that then makes my mic unusable, which really sucks given the games I play sorta need communication.

The problems come in either 2 forms, depending on how I last installed the drivers.

If I install through Windows, drivers will work for 3-10 seconds, then audio will stop working. Pausing a video and then unpausing gets it to work for a few more seconds

if I install through Realtek/Gigabyte's installer, I will get constant messages saying that my headset and mic have been disconnected, then reconnected. This message pops up a couple of times a second, throws up the Realtek audio manager and minimises any full screen applications

So, I was wondering if anyone here had any suggestions on what I can do to maybe get this working again. Here's what I've done so far

Rebooted
Uninstalled drivers through Windows, then reinstalled drivers through Windows.
Uninstalled drivers through Windows, downloaded them from Gigabyte, reinstalled through Windows
Downloaded the most recent drivers from Gigabyte's website, then used the Realtek Audio Driver's built in installer to uninstall and reinstall the drivers.
Disabled the device in Device Manager, then reenabled
Deleted the device in Device Manager, then restarted PC
Disabled the on-board audio in BIOS, rebooted, reenabled
Deleted the Realtek audio manager through "Add or Remove Programs", then reinstall
Plugged in the audio to both front and rear jacks

So yeah, I've gone through quite a few steps so far, and at this point I can only think of two options. Either reinstall Windows (Which I really don't want to do since I have 2TB of games, work and other stuff on here) or maybe try a BIOS update, but I really don't think that'd help

I'm running Windows 10 Education Edition, and the board is Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3 Rev 1.0. Upgraded from some MicroATX MSI board. Headset is def working, as are the audio jacks on my case.

Solution
you did use the ac887 driver from realtek for audio what does it show in the sound panel post a picture of it and did you try the back connector on motheboard to see if they work .
Sep 3, 2018

The sound panel looks like this. https://imgur.com/a/bSbJSXW

Not sure what you mean by AC887 driver. Gigabyte and Windows say the driver is version 7227, and I can't find anything about an AC887 driver online. Currently using the rear audio jacks, which are also just as bad.

Edit: Figured out you meant ALC887. Downloaded that and it works perfectly. Thanks!

Have you tried a different audio device to see if maybe the jack you're plugging in might be messed up? You said you get a message that you headphone and mic have been disconnected, that could be your problem as they have a different ring pattern then just a set of headphones. The rings might be off by just a little bit and is messing with the sound ports causing the issue.