Audio not working after installing new graphics card

mitch3ll

Prominent
Jan 17, 2018
After installing a new graphics card, my computer doesnt pick up any new playback devices. Ive tried everything ive seen. Help!

Solution
Did you install the nVIDIA audio drivers when you did this driver installation? They don't play well with Realtek sometimes. Have a look in "add and remove programs". If you installed the nvidia audio I would:

1. Go download your motherboard realtek audio drivers, DDU, and your GPU driver from nVIDIA
2. Boot into safe mode and have DDU clean out anything that nVIDIA installed.
3. Boot into normal mode, look in add and remove programs and make sure everything nvidia is gone and install your audio (realtek, etc) drivers and verify your sound is working. Try restarting if you can't get sound and look in the sound control panel for sources.

From there I would reinstall the graphics card drivers and only select the display driver and...

mitch3ll

Prominent
Jan 17, 2018

So I have an intel core i7 4790 as a CPU. Ther new graphics card was a gtx 960 MSI. I have about 8gb of ram. I upgraded my pc from a Dell Inspiron 3847. The power supply was also upgraded, from a 300W power supply to an EVGA 600B power supply(600W).

I am running windows 10. With the Realtek high definition audio as my sound driver. Hope this helps

mitch3ll

Prominent
Jan 17, 2018

yes, I downloaded all of the drivers I need. (I think). But I will try to uninstall them and reinstalling. When I first put in the graphics card, I got the drivers through a USB. So I will try downloading them directly.

mitch3ll

Prominent
Jan 17, 2018

It's that I'm not sure that would solve the problem, since when I go the sounds tab, no devices show up at all.

jr9

Estimable
Did you install the nVIDIA audio drivers when you did this driver installation? They don't play well with Realtek sometimes. Have a look in "add and remove programs". If you installed the nvidia audio I would:

1. Go download your motherboard realtek audio drivers, DDU, and your GPU driver from nVIDIA
2. Boot into safe mode and have DDU clean out anything that nVIDIA installed.
3. Boot into normal mode, look in add and remove programs and make sure everything nvidia is gone and install your audio (realtek, etc) drivers and verify your sound is working. Try restarting if you can't get sound and look in the sound control panel for sources.

From there I would reinstall the graphics card drivers and only select the display driver and physx, leaving everything else out.

Solution

mitch3ll

Prominent
Jan 17, 2018

So I did what you said, and now I only have one audio device in my device manager. Which I think is pretty good. But now it is showing that the peripheral is not plugged in.

jr9

Estimable
Realtek? If you installed it first you want to restart the PC. If no audio on restart, try other ports to see if the Realtek driver picks anything up. Move from port to port slowly to give the driver time to detect. Try just headphones into the headphone port and give it a second and see if it picks up. If that doesn't help reinstall the realtek driver

mitch3ll

Prominent
Jan 17, 2018
So here's another new update. I tried restarting my computer, but keeping the files. And the audio still doesn't work. So I am not sure what is going on at this point. Maybe I should've had deleted all of the files.

TRENDING THREADS