Question Audio not working on earphones and speaker, fails to play test sound.

May 3, 2020
I turned my PC on today (its motherboard is an MSI B360M Bazooka), and there was no audio output from my earphones or my speaker. the only audio that I could get was from the built-in monitor speakers. when I try to play an audio file from Groove Music I get an error message saying "unable to play". In the control panel sound settings, the test tone fails to play and the Nvidia HD audio icon is shown as unplugged. only the Monitor Speakers and the Realtek audio are shown as "working".
I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling drivers, doing a troubleshoot, and running a system check on cmd, but nothing seems to work and I'm at my wits end here.
any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: sindre_pc
May 3, 2020
Hi! I have the exact same motherboard and had the exact same problem today. I found out that it was Windows 'audio enhancements' being enabled which causes your audio to be muted.

To fix:
1.) Right click sound icon on your tab.
2.) Open Sound Settings
3.) On the top right of this tab, click 'Sound Control Panel'
Here you will see your audio devices. I have my desk speakers connected to the back: 'Speakers' with Realtek(R) Audio underneath it and my headphones connected to 'Realtek HD Audio 2nd Input'.
4.) Right click the device you want to fix.
5.) Click 'Properties'.
6.) On the top of that new tab, click 'Advanced'.
7.) At the bottom, un-check the box 'Enable audio enhancements' and then click 'Apply' on the bottom right. Afterwards, try the 'Test' button near the top right of the same tab to see if this actually worked i.e check for audio output.
8.) Repeat steps 4-7 for any other devices you are having trouble with.

Hope this helps!

Reactions: sindre_pc
May 3, 2020
I also have the exact same motherboard and issue today. KCoffeeMugs solution worked for me. Created this account just to say thanks and upvote the thread :)

Reactions: KCoffeeMug

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS