Audio on PC does not work, only usb headphones

mparise15

Honorable
Aug 28, 2012
So my brother got a new gpu (GTX 760 Superclocked), and after he installed no audio will play through the computer except for a pair of usb gaming headphones I own. We have searched the internet and can not find a solution. The computer doesnt even recognize the headphones either. We have also tried disableing the gpu's audio, but still noting. If anyone could help that would be great. Thanks.

Magickm20

Reputable
Jun 23, 2014
I had the same thing happen after installing a GTX 770 recently. The Nvidia audio drivers had set HDMI output (HDTV) as the default sound output, which only works when the TV is on via HDMI. My motherboard uses Realtek Audio drivers for sound, and so I had to go into the sound devices list and select my speakers via Realtek as the default output as opposed to HDMI. Don't know if you've tried something similar already?

mparise15

Honorable
Aug 28, 2012

How do you set Realtek as the default audio?

Thaisnang

Honorable
First Check the hardware if everything is connected and functions properly i.e Audio connector of MOBO,Speakers
Then
Check your audio drivers & software.
I had once a problem like this after installing a few new parts in my PC. The audio port in the front panel of my PC stopped working. I thought it was some software problem. I updated all the drivers even re-installed OS. But nothing happened. I opened the case and found that the wire got actually loose. So just tightened it up and Its working again!

Magickm20

Reputable
Jun 23, 2014
Depending on what version/brand audio drivers you have, there's usually a small speaker on the right side of the taskbar that you can use to control volume, etc. If you right click on it, options like 'Open volume Mixer' and 'Sounds' will appear. Look for one named 'Playback Devices'. When you select it, there should be a list of possible devices that can be set as the default. You should be able to pick your speakers as an option and set them to default with the middle button below the list. If there's no little speaker icon to right click, you can get to the same options through the Control Panel.

mparise15

Honorable
Aug 28, 2012

I have checked that, and my friend has checked that. Nothing that anyone has mentioned has been the problem.