Question Audio out of sync when watching videos ?

Sep 16, 2023
For the past few days I've been driving myself nuts trying to solve this issue. Simply put I'm having audio desync issues on videos, doesn't matter what browser, application used, still a slight delay. The delay isn't massive, but its enough that it makes watching videos with people talking unbearable they are off sync by like half a second.

Things I have tried
1. Drivers(Audio and Video), I have reinstalled the latest(fresh with DDU), and rolled back to older drivers.
2. Fresh Windows install of both Windows 10 and 11.
3. External PCI-E sound card. This actually made the delay seem slightly worse.
4. Different GPU - swapped in a 3070 that is known as having no issues.
5. Different speakers/headphones
6. BIOS tried newest and older BIOS versions, no issues.
7. Confirmed it wasn't my internet by using downloaded video on multiple video players.

System:
Intel 13600k
32gb DDR5 Ram
ASRock Z790 motherboard
7900XT/RTX3070
1000w PSU

I've tried every troubleshooting step I can think of without purchasing new hardware. So my next step was to try new RAM,CPU, or motherboard. I was leaning towards motherboard, but I'm not sure if that even makes sense. Any advice would be appreciated.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
if a local file then most players simply have an option to delay or speed up the audio to get it into sync.

media player classic, vlc and other options all have the ability. look in the menu for the right keys to press. it's that simple :)

so what kind of file is it and what player are you using?

Sep 16, 2023
if a local file then most players simply have an option to delay or speed up the audio to get it into sync.

media player classic, vlc and other options all have the ability. look in the menu for the right keys to press. it's that simple :)

so what kind of file is it and what player are you using?
the issue is, its not just a file. The delay is there no matter what I use. If I watch a video on youtube on Firefox, Chrome, or Edge. I download the video to watch it on my pc directly, via Windows Media Player or VLC, same delay. I watch it from my cellphone, no delay. The delay only exists on my pc.

Sep 16, 2023
Running a program called LatencyMon might be useful for you.

I have zero idea how to understand LatencyMon and use it to pinpoint issues.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
some googling turns up the same couple recommended fixes for youtube being out of sync.

main ideas seems to be hardware acceleration turned on in the browser can cause it. and something in windows called sound enhancement.

here's a link which tells how to disable both

at least its something you have not tried yet. might work

is youtube the only thing causing problems? or are other things like streaming netflix/prime effected?

Sep 16, 2023
some googling turns up the same couple recommended fixes for youtube being out of sync.

main ideas seems to be hardware acceleration turned on in the browser can cause it. and something in windows called sound enhancement.

here's a link which tells how to disable both

at least its something you have not tried yet. might work

is youtube the only thing causing problems? or are other things like streaming netflix/prime effected?
Tried both things previously, both do nothing or makes it worse(hardware acceleration turned off). I've spent 3 days searching google for anything related to audio/video desync and tried tons of solutions. (HPET disable, sound enhancements, hardware acceleration)

Could you identify your specific motherboard model name? There are many different ASRock Z790 motherboard models.
ASRock z790 Sonic PG motherboard.

I have tried with software, without, tried all settings in control panel, no change.
Try going into "Control Panel > Sound > Speakers > Properties > Advanced" and set you Default Format to the lowest "CD Quality". See if that makes any difference, if not you can change it back to whatever it's set to now.
Also you can try going into Power Settings and change the setting to "High performance".

Screenshot-3224.png

Sep 16, 2023
It's recent. Hadn't been an issue until recently, dunno exactly when it started but I'd estimate sometime within the last week or two, and I noticed it about 4-5 days ago. I don't watch people talking on video all the time, so I'm unsure of the exact date it started.

Only change was hardware during this time(prior to trouble shooting) was a new PSU(have tried swapping back, no change). I thought it was software related for a long time, but I've exhausted everything I can think of or find on google so I was left to assume its hardware. So I started swapping whatever parts I had extras of on hand that worked in my system. The only 3 pieces of hardware left to swap is Mobo,RAM, or CPU.

I'm leaning towards trying a new mobo since the delay is worse when using an external sound card vs the built in mobo one, but I have no factual reason to think this, more like gut feeling, plus its the cheapest thing to buy a replacement for.

I would still suggest you run LatencyMon, even if it's just to eliminate that as an issue. You don't need to understand what the program is doing. Just download the free software, install and run the program by hitting the play button. It will tell you if your PC has trouble handling real-time audio. At this point i do not know what else to suggest.

Sep 16, 2023
jfHIysC.png

So I've disabled any in windows CPU Throttling via the Power Options, and disabled CPU throttling in BIOS too. Now here's the confusing thing, my processor was never under heavy usage, max usage was like 50% during this time period. Temps on processor are fine as well.

hqmA0Jc.png

I've tried every BIOS version that exists for the motherboard, no change. So once again I'm at a loss.