Question Audio output jack not working

techfail50

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2012
The mic jack on the front of my case works fine but the audio jack next to it does not and I am not sure why. When I plug into the port it does not register it on my computer but when plugged in the audio coming out of my speakers stops.

techfail50

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2012
you will need to include your complete system specs.

audio output to speakers should be coming directly from motherboard I/O port in the rear of the system.
you should see up to six output jacks and looking to use the green.
First here are my specs https://pcpartpicker.com/list/QPnBtn

Second I am not talking about the I/O ports I am talking about the Jacks at the front of my case. My speakers are currently pluged into the green slot in the back I am trying to get my headset to work with jacks in the front. The Mic slot works but the audio one does not. When I plug into the port it does not register it on my computer at the same time while plugged in the audio coming out of my speakers stops.

The Mic slot works but the audio one does not. When I plug into the port it does not register it on my computer at the same time while plugged in the audio coming out of my speakers stops.
that is how it is intended to work.
when audio switches from speakers to mic, the speakers stop.

a mic output alone does not offer input & output at the same time.
you would need a quality headset that offers both.

techfail50

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2012
that is how it is intended to work.
when audio switches from speakers to mic, the speakers stop.

a mic output alone does not offer input & output at the same time.
you would need a quality headset that offers both.
I am confused in the first post I explicitly state there are 2 jacks on the front of my computer why have you deleted one? I plug the headset into both slots. One for mic the other for sound. The mic works the while the audio does not.

I plug the headset into both slots. One for mic the other for sound.
without full access to your components & system we cannot run the necessary tests.

without all available information no one can tell what is happening with your specific system.

maybe you haven't installed all necessary audio drivers so the motherboard output ports aren't fully functional.

maybe you haven't correctly installed the motherboard audio outputs to your current case.
I explicitly state there are 2 jacks on the front of my computer why have you deleted one?
you don't mention any specific headset or that itself is connected to any ports.

all you state is a MIC & speakers which are two different things than a single headset.

techfail50

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2012
without full access to your components & system we cannot run the necessary tests.

without all available information no one can tell what is happening with your specific system.

maybe you haven't installed all necessary audio drivers so the motherboard output ports aren't fully functional.

maybe you haven't correctly installed the motherboard audio outputs to your current case.

you don't mention any specific headset or that itself is connected to any ports.

all you state is a MIC & speakers which are two different things than a single headset.
Lets break this down

1. Not sure why you would say this since that is obvious

2. That is why I posted my system in my second post

3. Maybe but that is why I am looking for help since according to my computer all drivers are up to date

4. On my case the audio and mic jack share a cable that goes into the motherboard and from what I have seen most cases with those jacks are like that. So if the mic worked but that audio did not that theory does not make sense.

5.Why would that matter? I state in my first post "The mic jack on the front of my case works fine but the audio jack next to it does not" The point this post is to find out why audio is not working.

6. See five.

Finally after some testing turns out the jack works but my PC just won't detect more then one audio device being plugged into it so now I have to find out what is causing that.

you're numbering doesn't directly answer any questions or reflect any certain statements.
you need to learn how the "quote" option works on this forum.

you still haven't mentioned any specific headset, mic, speakers, hardware, etc.
so no one knows what specific hardware you are trying to connect or how it may work in any specific scenario.

you also haven't mentioned anything regarding the actual Windows system audio setup on your specific build so you may have some odd settings configured that could be interfering with any output you are trying to use.
'Control Panel > Sound' and any options through your motherboard sound applications(Realtek, etc) can have a large affect on your output scenarios rather it be blocking certain options or tuning the volume & quality, etc...
according to my computer all drivers are up to date
according to...
and what you have actually downloaded and installed are not always the same thing.

you need to actually go to the manufacturer product support page and make sure all of the latest driver & BIOS packages are actually downloaded and installed.