Status
Not open for further replies.

nikola43

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2010
hi guys i hope i havent posted this thread in a wrong place

Computer A is connected to computer B through a router, sharing files works perfectly on both comps. Computer B is connected to a set of speakers and comp A isnt. Comp B is running Windows 7 Ultimate, Comp A - XP SP2

I would like to know if there is a way to play audio from computer A through computer B on the speakers with some software.

The simplest way is to share files on comp A and then play it on comp B, but i would like to know if there is a way to directly send any kind of audio played on comp A to the speakers, through comp B.

Any help is appreciated!

G

Your're probably thinking of streaming software -- have a look on the usual shareware/freeware sites like CNET, FileHippo and MajorGeeks

nikola43

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2010
thank you, this sure helped me a lot, but its still not exactly what i was looking for...

because with streaming software (VLC for example) you can only stream whats playing in VLC and also a person on another comp has to enter the playlist to be able to hear sound im streaming, what i wanted is to stream ANY sound (from browser, mp3 player, video player, any sound played in comp A) through comp B directly to the speakers without person on comp B having to manually enter some playlists or such

sorry for being picky, but thats the only way i wanna do it

thank you for your time!

tkrl26

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
Or you could set up XBMC (on PC A) and open up port 80 and use the web interface to control the media center from PC B (from the web browser). That should work pretty good actually.

Added: On PC A you would have to map a drive back to your PC that has the music, and make sure PC B is set to static. And in XMBC you would have to set up the Music dir to point to the mapped drive...

Catsrules

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
If any of those program will let your stream a Line in or microphone jack, then you can put a splitter on your Line out on computer A, on goes to speaker and the other in a line in or microphone port, then have the program stream the line in or microphone to computer B.

This will most likely cause a delay in the sound, and if you increase your volume on computer A it will also increase the volume on computer B

Malungelo

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010

Hi's,

I'm also looking fir such software, in addition if I could connect computer B to an amplifier and play all the music on Computer A through a LAN, that would be something...

Catsrules

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
If your computers are close enough your could try Blue tooth, I can connect my phone to my laptop and play music on the the laptops speakers. I am sure you can do the same with two computers, but they haft to be like 30 feet of each other.

You can't use the speakers of a remote system as your own system speakers. That's what I'm reading from your question at least. You're trying to share the speakers like a printer or something, can't do it.

What you may be able to do is run a audio cable from the PC to the speakers, and using a simple splitter connect both PCs to the same speakers. Then when you want to send audio to the speakers simply plug in the speaker cable into the port, when you don't want to play sounds there, unplug it.

This is assuming that you are close enough to do this. There are PC switch boxes that allow you to also send audio to the remote PC, but you will be taking over that second computer, not just sending sounds to it.

mavkeysound

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012

You can use Wormhole2 is a vst plugin for transfer audio over network... y transfer almost 40 tracks in 100 mbit ethernet... but you need a vst host in pc A and B for sending and receiving audio... http://code.google.com/p/wormhole2/

cfbosch

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2009
Very interested in a solution for this.

mavkeysound - It seems Wormhole2 is dependent on the VST SDK, and you have to contact guys to send you the files. It also seems from the instructions you have to run some sort of audio rack to use the plugin. I'm looking for software that doesn't have any dependancies, and just listens to the audio on the sound card on one machine, and relays that audio data to a client on another machine, that plays the audio as a normal application (very much like streaming, but the source must transmit all the audio playing on the source machine, not just the media player).

Masanga - Speakershare made me download the JDK, all 30 MB of it, install it and unsettle my system, and the simply does nothing when I run it. Not your fault, I'm not shouting, I'm just asking if there is some magic I have to perform to get it to go, or have I maybe installed a nice trojan horse now?

Anyone else have suggestions?

leocade

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013
if you use a streaming desktop program like splashtop it mutes the sound of the computer you want the music from and transmits it to the other computer in addition to video

cfbosch

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2009
leocade: Thanks, SplashTop did all I was looking for. I don't know whether one can turn off the desktop control and picture, to just get the sound, and the sound had a bit of a delay. If you could ditch the desktop control, relaying the screen, and get the delay to less than 20ms, it would be 100% perfect.

It seems like it takes all the sound meant to go to the soundcard, and move it accross the network. That is 100% a shot in the right direction. Having to log into the web to do it is a bit of a downer. Its got to be peer to peer, like InputDirector, for example.

But very very good shot.

Thanks leocade.

Status
Not open for further replies.