[SOLVED] Audio Pass-through from Laptop to Desktop using VLC or other methods?

eternalabys

Honorable
Nov 8, 2018
Alright, so I've been using my Desktop and Laptop in unison for productivity (Desktop as main screen and laptop as a secondary screen), but I want the audio that's coming out of my laptop to go in to my Main Desktop so I can listen to it through my headphones and not the laptops speakers, cause if I have a video playing on the laptop it plays the audio through it's speakers and it annoys the people around me.

I heard that there's a way to do it with VLC but there aren't really any clear instructions that I have seen, so I turned to asking here, if there's a way to do it, then I'd be very much grateful for it if someone could explain it to me, if there's another way of doing it, than please do suggest them as well, I'm mainly looking to having a wireless setup as cable clutter and ability to buy the cables I'd need is neither wanted nor available.

Solution
Welp, I'm stupid, all I had to do was connect the 2 by projecting my laptop to my desktop using Windows's own software, and then after that to make my headphone as the default audio out on my main PC, It works fine but there's A LOT of lag on my laptops side using this method, if anybody knows a better one for less lag, do tell.
You don't need any special software for that, just get an male to male headphone jack cable connect one side to your laptops headphone port and the other to your desktops motherboard audio in port.
Then you can right click on the speaker icon on the bottom right of windows go into sound settings and tell it to take the input from the jack (usually line in ) .
Windows will also automatically ask you as soon as you connect it.

Oh ok wireless...
That's a pain in the butt to set up with VLC and it only works with files it's not permanent for anything playing.

Your easiest choice would be to get bluetooth on both devices but some amount of lag will be unavoidable.
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-stream-audio-over-bluetooth-windows-10
There are also specific devices made to cast audio over bluetooth but I don't know if they are any better.

Last edited:

eternalabys

Honorable
Nov 8, 2018
Welp, I'm stupid, all I had to do was connect the 2 by projecting my laptop to my desktop using Windows's own software, and then after that to make my headphone as the default audio out on my main PC, It works fine but there's A LOT of lag on my laptops side using this method, if anybody knows a better one for less lag, do tell.

Solution