[SOLVED] Audio playback delay and it sometimes skips ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sanman98

Prominent
May 25, 2022
Hi. I have a lenovo yoga 7i laptop. I just got it back from sending it in for repair for a Sleep/Standby related problem and had also noticed some sound distortion on the headphone jack.

Now that I've received it back, the computer is reset and cleared. I restored some of my backup and now there is sometimes an audio playback delay when using Audacity or a media player. It is silent for half a second and then i hear the audio normally, but miss half a second. It's silent and skips that part.
It happens intermittently. So i've contacted Lenovo tech support half a dozen times and they've done some fiddling with Device Manager or someone changed some drivers setting from Automatic to Manual and told me they updated drivers, but they didn't.
The other person just ran some scan and checked a bunch of settings tabs.

So now after calling a few more times and the online chat, and asking for a supervisor, they have just decided to have me send it in for repair again. They offered to add 90 days to my warranty.

Any ideas to fix this? I've already tried downloading the drivers and uninstalling the audio device in Device Manager.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Happy New Year!

Seems to me that you might have a multitude of problems, given what you've mentioned.

Using your laptop's serial number, please place that in Lenovo's support site and you should see a page bespoke to your laptop. Check and see if you have any BIOS updates pending. You can use CPU-Z to see what you're current BIOS version is listed under Mainboard's tab. Following that you can try uninstalling your audio drivers and then manually reinstalling them in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

You should also practice with backing up your mission critical content since it's very likely you might have one more of two issues;
1| your internal audio ribbon cable might be loose if the audio module/board is actually a daughterboard. If that's not the case then;
2| Your OS is corrupt and has been the root of the cause/issue.

sanman98

Prominent
May 25, 2022
What got replaced in the repair is the mainboard.
(summary of what i wrote below: i tried updating BIOS and drivers. So I should send it in for repair again??)

Ok, I went to the Lenovo website for the drivers page and ran a scan and it did offer a BIOS update.
But the audio issue is still happening.
Once the audio is awake and active, it plays well and proper. But any time it's idle for a while, it will lag for the first time starting it.

I did try uninstalling the audio devices in Device Manager a few days ago and there's two different drivers: Fortemedia and Elevoc. I only tried installing Fortemedia.
I'm pretty sure it already requested UAC admin?? I can try Elevoc now also.
Just uninstall the playback devices like speakers and headphone, not the microphone? The Realtek devices, not the Intel bluetooth or USB and microphone. Under [Audio Inputs and Outputs], and then [Sound Video and Game Controller].

Well nothing has fixed it so far
just tried Elevoc driver

Lenovo said i can send it in for repair again
is that the best bet at this point?

This problem didn't happen before the repair
it was some other standby/sleep issue and some audio distortion before

thanks

Last edited:

sanman98

Prominent
May 25, 2022
I got the mainboard replaced a second time now.
Had some trouble activating Windows after that.

If anyone has any ideas to help. It's not normal for audio to play for half a second silently, right? If I wait a minute without playing any sound, it does it again when I click something.

Status
Not open for further replies.