[SOLVED] Audio "pop" and sound stops working ?

tyskeren

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2011
Hello

I have had a weird issue for quite some time now, it hasn't really been too invasive which is why I haven't tried to fix it, but after reinstalling Skyrim to play it again, it has now become a really annoying problem.

So basically what happens is that I play the game for a little bit (can sometimes happen in any game) and the headset suddenly makes a "pop" sound (exactly the same kinda sound it makes if you put it on while you are turning on your PC, as if its connecting) and then after the "pop" the game doesn't freeze, but it cuts off any way to control, as an example; say I am "auto running" it keeps the character running and I cannot move by clicking on the keyboard or anything, but it only does this for 1-2 seconds, and then the sound cuts off completely, the game runs fine after, no issues at all, just no sound. I quit the game and when I am on the desktop, the sound is once again working fine again (even though sometime I have had to reconnect my USB headphone cable, to get the sound running again).

Now I don't even know if this is a Motherboard issue, might not be, what I have tried so far:

Check temperatures on everything (everything is great).
Check drivers, both update and revert, makes no difference.
Disable audio units not being used, makes no difference.
Deleting certain drivers and programs, makes no difference.

Now as I said earlier the only game I have been in where it is unplayable is Skyrim, in that game it does the sound "pop" and cuts off after about 1 minute of playtime, and sometimes when I do a quicksave. Generally the sound issue seems to happen whenever something is being loaded or changing, so I am not sure if it could be a memory allocation issue or something? Just guessing here. (I have 2 harddrives, doesn't matter which one I have the game installed on, same issue)

Anyone had similar issue or any ideas, I will be very grateful.

Specs:

AMD Ryzen 5 5600x 6-Core Processor
RTX 3070
16 GB Ram
ASUS ROG Motherboard
and 2 SSD's

Headphones: Steelseries Arctic Pro (cable)

Solution
Not sure if I can mark my own thread as solved, but quick solution here to anyone having a brain fart like myself.

Switch to newer standard USB port and that fixes the issue, for some reason I did not think of that at all.

I was running my headphones in a 2.0 port and had left my two 3.2 ports empty.......
do thos headphones come with it's own controlling device '. I E. sound controller, equalizer etc? If it does check th e settings of the equalizer and try turning down volume, equalizer, or even if you just use your motherboard sound try same thing with settings see if that helps at all. Also here is a web site to use the app called Latency monitor. Use it in the background while playing the troubled game/s. Then after you experience the problems, check it's report for possible issues and problem drivers it may list. Resplendence Software - Free Downloads

Reactions: tyskeren

tyskeren

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2011
do thos headphones come with it's own controlling device '. I E. sound controller, equalizer etc? If it does check th e settings of the equalizer and try turning down volume, equalizer, or even if you just use your motherboard sound try same thing with settings see if that helps at all. Also here is a web site to use the app called Latency monitor. Use it in the background while playing the troubled game/s. Then after you experience the problems, check it's report for possible issues and problem drivers it may list. Resplendence Software - Free Downloads

Hey, I fixed the issue, and I now feel like an idiot, but if anyone else should run into issues down the line with something similar, look at what USB entrance you've used for your headphone :rolleyes: The ones I was using at first are the older standard (black ones) 2.0 and that seems to have caused issue with the headphones after switching to the Red ones which is 3.2 if I am not mistaken that fixed the issue completely. Dumb silly mistake and brainfart, but at least its fixed now, sorry for wasting your time.

Reactions: Fix_that_Glitch

tyskeren

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2011
Not sure if I can mark my own thread as solved, but quick solution here to anyone having a brain fart like myself.

Switch to newer standard USB port and that fixes the issue, for some reason I did not think of that at all.

I was running my headphones in a 2.0 port and had left my two 3.2 ports empty.......

Solution