Audio popping Gigabyte Aorus Z270X Gaming 7 motherboard

Grimsilver

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2011
Hello hello. So I recently built a new pc and...despite the negative reviews I decided to try out this Z270X Gaming 7 motherboard from Gigabyte. I have tried looking up a solution, but I can't really find any solutions to the issue aside from everyone saying avoid the motherboard, or simply RMA it. I'm not 100% certain if it's faulty, or something wrong with the software? Basically the audio just has small pops every now and then. I am using the supposed correct software, the Soundblaster Recon3Di software, and have disabled the "Crystalizer" already since that apparently fixed the issue for some other folks.

I'm pretty new to audio issues, and I haven't had them before, so I am sort of at a loss on what to try next.

Thanks

Solution

If it turns out to be a defective motherboard design they can't fix, they would send you a different model, but if it is fixable they would replace it with the same model. Motherboard makers are issuing BIOS and driver updates all the time because they discover...

1. Although many people may have a bad opinion of this motherboard, Gigabyte is a respected motherboard manufacturer who are not in the habit of releasing defective hardware onto the market.

2. I think it's very unlikely the hardware is faulty. Motherboards have become become so complex, with so many features built in, the problem is far more likely due to how your hardware and software are configured.

Make sure the latest audio drivers are installed.

Your motherboard has 2 key audio features. "Creative Sound Core 3D chip" and "TI Burr Brown® OPA2134 operational amplifier". The 2nd one i have never heard of before, but an amplifier is something that could release a sudden burst of power and cause audio popping.

Try going to page 118 of your motherboard manual, [a PDF is available on the Gigabyte website if you don't have the booklet] and review the audio setting in your BIOS and Windows. There are 7 pages directly related to audio configurations. If that does not help try contacting Gigabyte Technical Support directly and they will offer a solution to your problem, one way or another.

Grimsilver

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2011

From a lot of what I am reading, that Creative chip is just awful, but I honestly don't know much about any of this. I messed with countless setups and different options following the manual, and nothing at all has been able to solve the issue.

I went ahead and decided to get support from the manufacturer, but I put in a support ticket a few days ago but I still haven't heard back. Not sure how long it takes but yeah. Not sure if I should put in another ticket or wait it out, but this is all pretty frustrating lol

If it's only been a few days since you contacted Gigabyte Support i would just wait a few more. My guess is you are in a line with other customers waiting for help with their problem. What i would assume is they will either provide you with a solution to your problem, or if not, email you a shipping invoice to FedEx your motherboard to them and they will send you back a replacement. Just wait a few more days and see.

I have had the Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 7 motherboard which has pretty much the same sound setup as yours. Although I have never had a problem with it, it might be worth checking what you have connected for the sound. What speaker system are you using and how have you connected it to the motherboard. I have always used the Digital Audio Optical Toslink to connect my speakers to the motherboard using the Creative sound..That worked very well and never gave me any problems.

Also have you uninstalled and just let Windows uuse its own driver to see whther it works better that way..You probably have done that but just in case..

Someone also did this to fix his sound problems on the z170x Gaming 7 and it worked...Maybe worth a try:

Thanks all for your suggestions.
Finaly I was able to get a workaround.

In the BIOS under ChipSet - Audio Controller - the Audio DSP line is set to Enabled by default. Disabling this feature does magic and allows a seemless installation of the sound drivers...

And this might help also - turning off the audio enhancements and CrystalVoice

luckeR

Reputable
May 3, 2016

Hi, do you think.. that there is a same settings for z370 aorus gaming 7 mainboard in Biso? Coz all what I've just found in the bios is: Onboard audio ON/OFF .. and that's it.

luckeR

Reputable
May 3, 2016
https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/7dk81y/gigabyte_z370_gaming_5_audio_driver_version/

Check my comment bellow.. after reboot I am having popping/cracking audio problem too. Also my output sound is leaking on Discord/TeamSpeak and so on

Grimsilver

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2011
Main headset I use is the Philips SHP9500, plugged into the "headphone" port on the back according to the motherboards manual. Still no response from support, and I sent it on the 11th lol. Can't find that audio option in the bios for disabling audio DSP line. I have tried uninstalling the drivers and restarting, and windows just seems to pick up the same software with it's terrible sound effects (Super loud bass, poor sounds from the software's "features").

I don't think you would disable audio DSP in the BIOS, but in Windows. Go to Control Panel > Sound > Playback and/or Recording and select "Disable".

Try going into Control Panel > Device Manager > Sound, video and game controllers. One by one, disable all but 1 audio driver listed, and see if your problem goes away. Some of these audio driver may be conflicting with each other.

I have just looked at my new setup as I have just upgraded to the Gigabyte Z370 Ultra Gaming and would you believe it, I am also having these problems now...I have the same onboard audio on or off and nothing else. For the life of me I cant seem to work it out, so I have uninstalled the Audio drivers from Gigabyte and running just the windows driver...this seems to be working for me..Not the best solution. Lets hope this thread keeps alive to post a solution..I like Gigabyte motherboard as I had problems with Asus in the past...The Overclocking has been great on the Ultra Gaming but the audio is certainly a problem.

luckeR

Reputable
May 3, 2016

So what mobo exactly are you using now please? And have you got any problem with microphone on discord/teamspeak?

Hi, I am using a Gigabyte Z370 Ultra Gaming, not problems on Teamspeak but I am not using the Audio driver from Gigabyte as that just keeps causing problems and when it occasional pops the usio goes out of sinc as well. So I am just using the base windows driver and it seems to be working fine.

It has the Amp Up ALC1220 120dB SNR HD Audio with Smart Headphone Amp...

luckeR

Reputable
May 3, 2016

OK thanks, but are you using 3,5mm jack to microphone? Because we are having this problem (with another guy form reddit) - https://www.reddit.com/r/PUBATTLEGROUNDS/comments/7d12wg/anyone_have_microphone_issues_when_playing_pubg/

Hi guys, I have just seen a new RealTek HD Audio driver on Gigabytes update page for my Motherboard. This new audio driver came up on the 13th of November and I had not seen it until now. I have installed it and it seems to be working for me...no problems yet. The version is: [6.0.1.8281]

luckeR

Reputable
May 3, 2016
Hello guys, first of all.. thank you for keeping us updated Max! Second of all.. I received an answer after a week of waiting from Gigabyte support. And guess what.. it actually worked!!!! My problem with mic is so far so good.

Drivers - 6.0.1.8295 https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=6.0.1.8295 You should download the 'Windows 10 Creators Update and Later Servicing Drivers version - 131,00 MB'' and update it via Device Manager. (extract the files to another folder - navigate updater to the new folder). BOOM! Microphone problem solved.

Looks like they weren't just an evil corporation after all. ;)

Grimsilver

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2011
Still waiting for a response from support lol. Tried to use the front headphone jack instead and it has severe lopsided audio when using 3 different pairs of headsets. Audio in the balance settings is even. Honestly not a HUGE deal since I can just adjust one side higher to make it even but still.

Edit: Ok that one is my stupidity. I used the wrong cable that has been attacked by kittens. Audio is fine on the front jack.

I would love to try all these other solutions but I think the Z370 uses a different chipset right? Wish I could even take a hit and downgrade to the lower end one just because it doesn't use this Recon 3Di lol

If you first contacted Gigabyte on the 11th and you still have not heard back from them, i would contact them again. There is being patient, but there is also a reasonable limit to that patience. Dealing with frustrated customers is part of technical supports job, so they wont take offense. If they gave your case any ID number when you first contacted them, have that on hand. If not they should have a record of your name.

Grimsilver

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2011
Yeah I suppose I should. I still hold nothing against Gigabyte for all of this, because although I have never bought their mobos, I have always heard good things. Hopefully they steer away from this Creative stuff though lol. I did notice my motherboard isn't for sale anymore on Newegg and hasn't been for awhile now. I wonder if it's because of issues? I sorta hope it's a stock issue with Gigabyte and if I do end up having to RMA it, they will give me a different model lol.

If it turns out to be a defective motherboard design they can't fix, they would send you a different model, but if it is fixable they would replace it with the same model. Motherboard makers are issuing BIOS and driver updates all the time because they discover their new, or even old, motherboard designs have issues that need to be fixed.

Solution