Dec 17, 2020
Hi everyone, just read through a few recent posts on here and other sites about building a PC mainly for music production, but I still have some questions.

I'm happy to spend about €1200 for a proper PC that will last.

Current parts below.

I anticipate I will be doing some photo editing and perhaps light video editing at some point in the future, so I'm unsure as to how powerful I should go for the video card. Obviously it doesn't matter a whole lot as I'll mainly be running PreSonus Studio One 5 and related music software so nothing too graphics heavy. Out of all the components I'm most clueless about this one. One youtube builder mentioned using a GX 1050ti card for a music PC build, but I'm not sure if this is a sensible purchase anymore. I don't want anything crazy, just a quiet enough solid card that will tick away nicely and pick up speed the odd time when I'm running more graphical stuff.

A friend offered a 400w power supply. I had intended to get the gold 650W one as shown in the build but according to the PSU calculator, this build should only be drawing between 250w and 300w. I've heard it's never good to cheap out on the PSU, but in this case it seems fine to go ahead with the 400w. If someone's had a nightmare experience with one in a similar build I'd love to hear your input.

I am tired of small SSDs and don't want loud mechanicals whirring in the case. I'm willing to drop decent money on a 2TB SSD and just have everything on there for simplicity's sake.

Wifi is more expensive than I anticipated for such a crucial feature, but I'm willing to spend a bit extra on a nice modern motherboard with it in-built. Case is expensive but well-reviewed, especially for its acoustics for a studio PC, so again I'm happy to pay a premium.

Oh, and also - is the stock Wraith cooler bundled with the Ryzen processors any good? I've heard it can get quite loud, which is not ideal.

Any thoughts or feedback would be very welcome. It can be hard to find useful advice for music PCs when most threads and articles focus on gaming rigs!

Thanks in advance!

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gnpddD

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($319.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: *MSI MPG X570 GAMING EDGE WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard ($195.00 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($83.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 2 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($199.99 @ Adorama)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB Video Card ($159.94 @ Office Depot)
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case ($168.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($107.99 @ Staples)
Total: $1235.88