[SOLVED] Audio severely distorted after crash.

pizzacatnip

Prominent
Aug 24, 2018
Recently my computer crashed, not a bluescreen, just a straight crash. Wouldn't boot into windows so I fiddled with the interior a bit, and thankfully it booted again. However, upon booting into windows I was unable to hear basically anything. I changed my default devices around and could finally hear. However, the audio I was able to hear was incredibly distorted. I've tried updating drivers, and uninstalling and reinstalling them, without much luck. Is there anything I can do to fix this or do I need to purchase some new components?

Solution
PSU would be my first impulse, grinding noise is likely coil whine, you have a nice if older setup. Is the EVGA PSU 5+years old? If so it may be getting unstable on the 12v rail, capacitators going etc and in a moment of stress.....
It was never the best when new, not awful but not without concrens too...

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/evga-bq-series-850w-psu,4842-11.html

Change it and for your audio issues which may well come from the crash, strange and wierd things happen on unstable systems but this may help... some basic stuff you already tried but you might foind something that helps

Run a simple program like coretemp and see what your...

pizzacatnip

Prominent
Aug 24, 2018
Forgot to post my specs, my bad.
My system specs are: Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3.1, CPU - AMD FX 8350, GPU - Geforce GTX 1050 Ti, PSU - EVGA 850W BQ 80+ Bronze, SSD - Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB, and my case is the Bitfenix Nova BFX-NOV-100-KKWSK-RP.

I just finished playing a match of CS:GO when it crashed. First match of the day with friends, literally just hit the end game screen when my whole screen went dark. I haven't had issues with temp, however, I don't really check so it could have been a problem. I don't know if this is related but when trying to turn on my computer again a grinding noise came out of my computer. I tried turning on my computer and listening for which fan it was, but that was when it actually booted in.

Last edited:
PSU would be my first impulse, grinding noise is likely coil whine, you have a nice if older setup. Is the EVGA PSU 5+years old? If so it may be getting unstable on the 12v rail, capacitators going etc and in a moment of stress.....

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/evga-bq-series-850w-psu,4842-11.html

Change it and for your audio issues which may well come from the crash, strange and wierd things happen on unstable systems but this may help... some basic stuff you already tried but you might foind something that helps

Run a simple program like coretemp and see what your fx is doing, they are a toasty chip but just check your not 60-70c idle or anything silly.

Solution

pizzacatnip

Prominent
Aug 24, 2018
Yea, I was guessing the psu as well, however I've only had the psu for 2 years max. As for the cpu, I have a decent cooler on it and it's not running very hot idle, only about 25-30 C. However, my audio problems still persist. I tried everything in your link. I think my motherboard is probably damaged.