Audio software doesn't work anymore on Win10

CROcodile20

Reputable
Nov 14, 2014
I have a problem with Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi MB3 software which was bundled with my Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming 5 motherboard.

This app Sound Blaster X-Fi MB3 doesn't work anymore for some odd reason. It started to happen by itself after a Windows 10 update (Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, latest stable update, version 1709). I did not mess with my drivers or anything similar.

- The app opens and closes itself after 5 seconds. If I disable the playback device I'm using in Control panel - Audio, Sound Blaster X-Fi MB3 opens successfully and I can navigate the user interface, but the software crashes immediately when I re-enable my playback device or any other playback device.

Tried installing new Realtek High Definition Audio drivers, tried reinstalling Sound Blaster X-Fi MB3 and running it in Windows 7/8 compatibility mode, still the same...
Can someone please tell me why is this happening and is there any solution for this ?

The software worked fine with no problems before some Windows 10 update that probably changed something regarding the audio playback devices.

Solution
that is very weird. A graphics card software tool, mindmelting with the SB3 software!! lol Brilliant. Peculiar though, that it coincided with a Windows update.

That's great it sorted. Happy Days :)
this might help : http://forums.creative.com/showthread.php?t=722306

about 4-5 posts down, someone has tried a fix. I'm not saying it will work, but it's worth a try.

This seems to be an issue with Creative and Win10. Lots of people have the same issue. In the thread ive linked Creative actually respond to a user and tell them directly that the issue will not be patched or fixed. That's essentially why I haven't had a creative device in a long time. IMO Creative's support is always found wanting.

CROcodile20

Reputable
Nov 14, 2014
Thank you, but I already read that topic before, didn't solve the problem for me, although I managed to get the software up and running WHEN I disabled all the playback devices in CP (advice from that topic).

I am almost 100% sure that a windows update messed this software up for me. Creative won't fix this, I'm sure because this is an old software, but I hope I can somehow solve this problem, because the program still works, it just crashes when you enable a playback device that uses Realtek high definition drivers (Speakers or Realtek Digital output)...

have you tried disabling the Realtek device in device manager. If the system is only picking up one sound card, that might be a solution.

Also, the alc1150 on your mobo is actually quite decent. If it were me i'd just take out the SB and use the onboard, which is capable unless your really into your sound. For me I couldn't tell the difference.

CROcodile20

Reputable
Nov 14, 2014

I don't have a SB sound card, I just have the onboard ALC1150. It's good, yes, but I love the surround sound I get from the MB3 software.

ah, my apologies. i missed that and assumed you had a SB card too! My bad!

Okay, well, your outta luck. The software as much as it might be nice to use, has been broken by MS with the update. Without support from Creative or MS, then there is likely nothing else can be done. You could try rolling back the updates or doing a system restore to see if that may help.