hobbes87

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
Hi all, I've recently upgraded my OS from XP to Vista Home Premium 64bit. Before I switched to Vista, my on board sound was Realtek HD Audio and worked perfectly. After switching to Vista, my audio started to stutter every 15-20 seconds, even with the latest Realtek drivers for Vista. I read that onboard audio uses up more processor power or something similar to that, and that a sound card could remedy that. So I bought a Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Gamer card, installed it along with the latest drivers, and I'm still getting audio stutters. I've tried locating and disabling the on board audio in my BIOS (ASUS P5K-V), but to no avail. I also read that increasing the CPU voltage might help (I tried from 1.28V -> 1.35V, but that did not make a difference...I don't know if that was actually a viable solution or not).

At this point, I'm at a total loss at what to do, any suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Note: My tech level isn't too terribly high.

leo2kp

Distinguished
It might have something to do with the PCI bus and how it's managed through Vista 64. Make sure your motherboard drivers are the most recent 64bit versions. You might also want to see what other devices are using that particular IRQ. Not usually an issue, but you never know. Try disabling LAN, serial, and other com ports in the BIOS to see if the issue still exists.

hobbes87

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
@mike99: Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 3.0Ghz stock speed, 6GB RAM

@Grimmy: Not that I'm aware of.

@Flakes: Ran chkdsk, no problems found

I don't know if this has any relevance at all, but I have 2 HDDs, one, which my OS is installed onto, is IDE, the other recent one is SATA.

hobbes87

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
Also, whenever my cpu uses resources according to the cpu meter on the sidebar, my audio almost always stutters. It will do it with something as simple as opening a folder.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Well.. to explain why I asked, I use a KVM switch for 2 of my systems. I wanted to use the DVI but had a weird problem with the audio studdering like yours. It even affected my mouse movements. Seemed like every 15 secs, the system would studder/freeze for a sec.

Turns out I had to use the vga port on my monitor with vga/dvi adapters to fix my problem. Other then that, if I were to use DVI straight from the monitor to the video card, it would work fine. But owell.

mike99

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Also, whenever my cpu uses resources according to the cpu meter on the sidebar, my audio almost always stutters. It will do it with something as simple as opening a folder.
That sounds like audio driver uses a lot of CPU power. Check if there is a later (improved) version. If you fit a sound card it would take a lot of the load away from the CPU. Check the game sound settings, you may be able to reduce the quality to help performance.

Mike.

hobbes87

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008

Problem is, I'm using the latest drivers :heink:

wanga1983

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
Have you tried disabling IEST? Go to BIOS > Advanced Power settings and disable "Intel Speedstep", "C1", "Deep Sleep" (naming may be different), then see how it gos for you.

While you're in the BIOS, try to find the "HPET" setting and match that to the type of OS you are running - the 32 bit or 64 bit.

Also you can try the DPC Latency Checker program to help you isolate / eliminate whether it's drivers or hardware components that's causing the freezes. http://www.thesycon.de/

Good luck!

TRENDING THREADS