Audio- to both PC and HDTV. How do I do it?-HDMI or DVI

LBC206

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012
Hello,
I recently installed an ASUS Radeon HD 6450 graphics card to stream movies from the internet. I was using an HDMI cable and a separate audio cable with 3.5 connectors from my sound card to tv. This setup works great but doesn't allow me to use my PC speakers. When I tried to use a Y splitter it knocks the sound to tv out and the PC overrides to the PC .What do I need to do or get to be able to switch and not have to unplug to PC and plug in to TV and back and forth?

LBC206

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012
Yes. I got a 3.5 Y splitter with 2 inputs and 1 output. I tried to plug TV in one and PC externals into 1 and the the output into sound card audio jack but it cancelled out the TV output. I then have to reset TV audio to factory setting and unplug and plug in the TV to correct it. I am using the PC audio input on the TV so I can use my surround speakers connected to my HDTV.

LBC206

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012
I have a Rocketfish 5:1 sound card, which I also installed, and I disabled the onboard audio. I only have 1 audio input that goes to the PC externals .

LBC206

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012
Thanks but #2 is entirely too expensive and # 1 only has the HDMI and does nothing for my audio problem. I can already get audio , just not on the PC and HDTV without changing plugs . I want 1 device with 1 audio input and 2 outputs. You aren't getting my problem.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
The hdmi audio from your Radeon is digital and the audio from the 3.5mm is analogue. Cannot use both simultaneously I’m afraid without spending mega bucks on converting equipment.

Even then with converting, your pc will not know the difference and will limit itself in means of using one or the other.

davemaster84

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011
Well with software alone it is impossible. I do the same as you do, but I do it trough HDMI, I am not aware if your graphic card has hdmi outputs, but I think it should. In case it has just go to the sound options in control panel and select the HD TV output as active, once you re done with it just select back again your speakers . It should do the trick, at least worked on mine. Cheers

boju

Titan
Ambassador
LBC206 have you thought about having an av receiver and surround for your tv? Don’t need to go super expensive, there are quite a few good value bundle systems you could get. Would certainly be one way of solving your sound problems completely if you had the room and means for it.

ie; http://www.jbhifi.com.au/home-theatre/pioneer/650-watt-5-1-channel-home-theatre-outfit-sku-70527/

Just a thought.

Edit: with something like this you could have the pc connected to the tv via hdmi and outputting the hdmi from tv to the receiver for giving an extra choice where to play sound.

boju

Titan
Ambassador

The trouble you’re having is to do with the tv not the means of converting. Your tv will have a series of hdmi and rca channels split into categories digital and analogue.

Your goal is to play sound simultaneously through the pc and tv speakers right? Only way is to either keep everything digital or analogue and since your computers graphics card doesn’t output analogue (rca) you cannot take advantage of splitting due to the tv channel(hdmi) you’re using.

LBC206

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012

Hi boju,

I have a surround sound system connected to my TV. but no open inputs left, as I also have my stereo amp/receiver connected to it too. Love it for movies or music type programming. It's a Frisby brand- 1 sub and 5 surround speakers.