audio tweaking? is possible?

HyperGL

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2005
is possible to tweak an audio card? i 've got an on board 7.1 system... i noticed that in the WIN mixer are just 2 channels, so i am wondering if it is possible to make in some way real 8 channel output... for example in a program like REASON... to have at least 4 channels instead of the normal 2! is this possible? or is the 7.1 just a virtual thing?

tnx

astrallite

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2005
Are you asking if its possible to mirror stereo on other channels like surround and rears? That all depends if your sound card drivers support such a feature. Otherwise, you better be a pretty good programmer.

If you are asking about an equalizer for each channel for multichannel playback, I don't think there are any free equalizer software that provides such features.

HyperGL

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2005
i do own a 7.1 sound card... but in the program Reason... there is just a 2 channel output... why that?
i would like to have at least 4 chan output!!!
so every channel must have it's own playback... is this really so impossible? am i the first one asking that? :)

draxsath

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2003
the problem with most audio on computers, specifically music, is that there are only two audio channels encoded.

The only things that regularly take advantage of surround sound on comuputers are DVD's and games.

DVD's are often recorded in 6 channels, for 5.1 surround sound (which is the standard). 7.1 is nearly useless in my opinion because almost nothing is recorded in 7.1 (8 channels).

For DVD Movies, there is no magic wand of surround sound, nothing is automatic. After a movie is finished with being recorded, the sound engineer has to go through the film and manually put each sound in each speaker. It's a time consuming process... hence you typically only get audio in 5.1 and not 7.1 because no one wants to do it twice, as you'd have to do it completely from scratch for 7.1. if you didnt, then all the tings on those extra two speakers would not be heard in the 5.1 sound systems.

Some sound cards will do thier best to put sound through the other speakers, though this sound wont be 'surround sound' if it only has 2 channels to start with.

Think of it this way, if you were able to plug 8 speakers into a portable CD player, you wont get 8 channels of sound magically... there are only two channels on the disc!

The most recent sound cards, like Creative Lab's X-Fi series do some very intricate 'up-mixing'. it basically takes the two audio channels it's supplied with and 'makes up' the other 4. It does it rather well in my opinion.

so all in all, on a computer you will only be using more than 2 speakers if the thing your listening to is actually supplying the 6-8 channels of sound needed to do surround sound. If this program you're talking about only dishes out 2 channels of audio, then it'll only play 2 channels of audio. If you have an X-Fi it'll do it's best to 'guess' what audio to put in the other channels, but keep in mind it's basically making up for the fact that its missing 4-6 channels worth of sound.

this may be dissapointing for people with expensive speaker systems on thier computers (mines a $1400 home theatre system). I had a sound blaster live 5.1 for years and it never really did the trick for music. DVD's and games used all the channels but for music, most of them were wasted... pissed me off for years actually. Then i got an X-Fi and it's really payed off! now i dont feel so bad about blowing the wad on the speaker system now thati have a card that will take advantage of it.

so to answer your question in short- unless this program of yours is equipped to record 6-8 channels of audio, then you'll only hear two. the extra channels are literally seprate tracks of sound, in most audio programs it shows you both at the same time, as different wave-forms. those are the stereo tracks, 2 channels. unless you can get it to show all 6-8 waveforms and be able to edit them all at the same time, then its probobly not capable of surround sound.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by draxsath on 10/24/05 02:37 PM.</EM></FONT></P>