Question Audio/Video Desync or Stuttering Issue

Jan 27, 2020
Hello!

Reposting this under System. I wasn't sure what category to put this under as I'm not 100% sure what the root cause of the problem is.

Essentially, when watching videos on Chrome via Youtube/Twitch etc. the audio becomes gradually out of sync with the video. This is using my speakers that are connected via headphone jack. Refreshing the page resets the audio/video sync temporarily.

When doing the same thing using my USB headset, the video plays fine for a few seconds and then freezes up and starts playing at like 1 fps - the audio stuttering at the same rate. (NB - this is awkward to replicate as it only seems to happen sometimes).

I have tried:
  • Disabling hardware acceleration in Chrome settings
  • Ensuring power settings are on max performance (in Windows)
  • Disabling fast-startup in Windows
  • Re-installing & updating drivers for both audio devices
None of which have fixed the issue so far. I've seen people suggest altering the HPET setting but I am hesitant to do this as I'm not sure of the implications.

Something else to note is that I use my PC for gaming and I have not noticed audio desync issues when playing games.

Finally, here are my specs, copied from Speccy:

Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU
AMD FX-8320 44 °C
Vishera 32nm Technology
RAM
16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 799MHz (11-11-11-28)
Motherboard
Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. 970A-DS3P (CPU 1) 34 °C
Graphics
AOC 2460 (1920x1080@60Hz)
AOC G2460 (1920x1080@144Hz)
4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti (ASUStek Computer Inc) 39 °C
Storage
931GB Seagate ST1000DM003-1ER162 ATA Device (SATA) 30 °C
111GB KINGSTON SHFS37A120G (SSD) 31 °C
Audio
NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device (Wave Extensible) (WDM)

Other peripherals:
  • HyperX Cloud 2 Headset (USB)
  • Logitech Z200 Speakers (Headphone jack)
  • Logitech G PRO Wireless Mouse
  • Logitech G213 Keyboard
  • Trust Webcam
Thank you for sticking with me through this long post, I am really keen to get to the bottom of this issue as it's a really big pain!

Jan 27, 2020
I've updated my AMD chipset drivers & audio drivers but the problem is still occuring :(
Running Chrome in safe mode also doesn't fix it. I haven't experienced the problems on other browsers yet? But I would like to be able to use Chrome.

I'm also having an issue with peripherals disconnecting/stuttering. I have all power saving modes turned off.

Jan 27, 2020
Update: I've realised my graphics card wasn't in the uppermost slot so I've moved it. I haven't had the issue reoccur yet, however latencymon is still detecting the following issues: View: https://imgur.com/IO8q2GM

I've ordered a new power supply that should arrive tomorrow as admittedly its been in dire need of replacing for a long time.

Will continue to post updates to see how this affects the problem