Question Audio video question

Moto_919

Prominent
Apr 30, 2019
I have a set of logitech 5.1 surround speakers for my pc that i want to replace. This will be the second set of logitech speakers that i have had a problem with so i want to try something else and there really isnt a lot out there for 5.1 on a pc that im interested in so im looking at a nice 5.1 surround sound bar with rear speakers. The 5.1 system would have to be connected with HDMI and my monitor on DisplayPort.

I see conflicting reports on this subject with a lot of it being old and outdated info. Some say if you connect the speakers to the gfx card for audio it will run as a second display and affect performance while gaming. I'm wondering if i can get the audio from my MB instead of the gfx card or if things have changed with newer hardware or drivers? Have any of you done this recently?

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x
MB: MSI MPG B550 gaming edge wifi
GPU: MSI GTX 1070 gaming X (3070 when i can get one...)

I have a set of logitech 5.1 surround speakers for my pc that i want to replace. This will be the second set of logitech speakers that i have had a problem with so i want to try something else and there really isnt a lot out there for 5.1 on a pc that im interested in so im looking at a nice 5.1 surround sound bar with rear speakers. The 5.1 system would have to be connected with HDMI and my monitor on DisplayPort.

I see conflicting reports on this subject with a lot of it being old and outdated info. Some say if you connect the speakers to the gfx card for audio it will run as a second display and affect performance while gaming. I'm wondering if i can get the audio from my MB instead of the gfx card or if things have changed with newer hardware or drivers? Have any of you done this recently?

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x
MB: MSI MPG B550 gaming edge wifi
GPU: MSI GTX 1070 gaming X (3070 when i can get one...)
"speakers to the gfx card for audio it will run as a second display" how's possible at all for audio to run as graphics ??? No chance. Audio is sent to monitor thru HDMI/DP as digital AUDIO signal, It even uses own wire. DAC chip and it's circuit in the monitor just converts it to analog. Nothing to do with display.

Moto_919

Prominent
Apr 30, 2019
"speakers to the gfx card for audio it will run as a second display" how's possible at all for audio to run as graphics ??? No chance. Audio is sent to monitor thru HDMI/DP as digital AUDIO signal, It even uses own wire. DAC chip and it's circuit in the monitor just converts it to analog. Nothing to do with display.
You obviously didnt read what i said or didnt understand what i was saying. This is not an idea i just pulled out of thin air it is what people have reported happening over the years when trying something like this.

You obviously didnt read what i said or didnt understand what i was saying. This is not an idea i just pulled out of thin air it is what people have reported happening over the years when trying something like this.
I said that because there's no reason not to connect speakers (or sound bar) thru monitor and HDMI as my understanding is that someone told you that would impact graphic performance which is totally false.

Moto_919

Prominent
Apr 30, 2019
I said that because there's no reason not to connect speakers (or sound bar) thru monitor and HDMI as my understanding is that someone told you that would impact graphic performance which is totally false.
I never said the sound system would be connected to the monitor... Just stop already.