audiophile 7.1 sound card any price under $1,000

ziggy2576

Reputable
Jun 4, 2014
I am building a sound system that will cost me around $8,000 dollars to build. Hand building and tuning all of the cabinets/enclosures myself. Using high end crown amps and building custom crossovers with the highest quality capacitors and air coil inductors. so in reality this card needs to keep up with a sound system that would normally run in the $20,000 dollar range. The only sound cards i can find are ASUS Xonar Phoebus and the Asus Xonar D2X, but i don't know that they will be good enough for what i want.

once again i want it to be 7.1 but 5.1 might be okay if there arnt any 7.1's that would be high enough end

Solution
The logical solution IMO would be to have an external amplifier that uses a digital input from the PC. I'm fairly certain that any modern solution will be about the same, including onboard audio.

It's not a price issue, I simply don't think there's any point if using digital to get a sound card.

You don't want a sound card taking the digital signal, making that analog via the op-amp, (which needs hardware to prevent signal contamination), then finally send it to an external amp.

Better to just send the digital signal straight to a quality amplifier.

ziggy2576

Reputable
Jun 4, 2014

the crown amps im using to get the power and fidelity i need have no digital input http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_32394_Crown-Audio-XLS-2000.html for the subwoofers in each tower "2100 watts for the subs in total"
and http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_32391_Crown-Audio-XLS-1000.html for the mids and highs

and on top of that i need to use the built in crossover on the crown for my low end to mid range power 2 10 inch subs per main tower speaker. 1050 watts to each of the 2 towers at 2 ohms isnt anything a normal home audio receiver can do that isnt crazy priced "so its a three way crossover with the low to mid cross being active from the amps and the mid to high cross is a passive crossover"

Solution