[SOLVED] Aurora r4 upgrade help! Need guidance from the real pc gods out here.

Feb 27, 2022
Hey team, I have an old school aurora r4 i5-3890 with active venting and water cooling. I'm looking to upgrade my mobo, cpu, and ram. I upgraded the gfx card to a rtx 2080, but not sure if the rest will fly.

I want to put in these:

MSI PRO Z690-A LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard ddr4

Intel Core i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12-Core LGA 1700 Processor

And some 3200 ddr4 ram

When I was younger I would be able to determine if this would fit in my case, but alas, now that I'm old, I dont trust my research. Being old sucks. I cant figure out the size of my water cooler or the case.

Save me my youthful pc gods.

Solution
Likely will that cooler not work with the 1700 socket. Think you will need to include a new cpu cooler as well. Would maybe be good to go all the way and either sell this pc as is or keep it as back up, maybe add an old gpu to it to make it work.

old school aurora r4 i5-3890
That is not a cpu i recognize, i do see that the Aurora case uses an M-ATX motherboard (Micro ATX) so at least keep that in mind.

The issue with working inside that prebuilt is going to be with the front panel wiring. Read here.
Sure that is the right link?

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Likely will that cooler not work with the 1700 socket. Think you will need to include a new cpu cooler as well. Would maybe be good to go all the way and either sell this pc as is or keep it as back up, maybe add an old gpu to it to make it work.

old school aurora r4 i5-3890
That is not a cpu i recognize, i do see that the Aurora case uses an M-ATX motherboard (Micro ATX) so at least keep that in mind.

The issue with working inside that prebuilt is going to be with the front panel wiring. Read here.
Sure that is the right link?

Solution

TRENDING THREADS