Australia is stuffed, carbon taxed passed thru lower house

siege_templar

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
Well, i am 15, and my future looks pretty bad if carbon tax passes in aus,
I wont be able to get a job in technology, my parents are so close to already being broke, and so many
other australians are all just stuffed.
Whats your opinion on carbon tax.

I am so happy that it passed. Yay! Don't listen to the Coalition's FUD. Your family is very likely to get the tax rebate back fully as the government will raise the tax threshold.

So what if you pay a bit more now? The money is going to energy research to compete with other country in the lucrative market of renewable energy in the future. Look at countries like China and India, they will be our big market.

Stop worrying, you are 15 and it is a good time for you to study science and join the renewable energy industry after graduating in science (chemistry or physics) at the university.

I don't agree with it but I have been too busy to spend the time needed to research the pros and cons.

I therefore can only rely on an emotional response at present ... <weeps a little>.

I see but another excuse to tax
While I think its not only admirable, but hopefully done without waste as much as possible for you Ozzies, if done right
Hopefully not too many Solyndra types in your future, but there will be a few

mjmjpfaff

Distinguished

seriously? did you read the situation he is in?

mjmjpfaff

Distinguished

his parents are almost broke. the carbon tax is just taking more money away from him and his family.

If his parent is almost broke, that could mean they are entitled to the higher tax threshold and tax break which is better for them.

While it is bad for people to be almost broke. The carbon tax is nowhere as detrimental as the Coalition claims to be. In a lot of way, it is good for Australia.

https://www.cleanenergyfuture.gov.au/helping-households/household-assistance-estimator/

The carbon tax was avoidable until the mining tax was cut. I still think mining tax should stay at the rate proposed by Rudd. The mining companies still makes record profit despite the tax. Letting company to dig up the mineral resource while the government do nothing to bring the the best deal back for Australian is nothing less than treachery for its people.

Don't think 4 years, think 40 like most country in Asia do. We can't rely on mineral exports forever. We need a new signature industry in Australia to drive our growth and we need the money to jump start it- carbon tax.

siege_templar

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
Looking back on this post it was not the tax that was the issue, it was the drop in consumer confidence that came with its introduction. God I love economics.

siege_templar

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
Looking back on this post it was not the tax that was the issue, it was the drop in consumer confidence that came with its introduction. God I love economics.