[SOLVED] "Auto-adjustment: Not available" message, even in BIOS

Dec 11, 2020
Hi, my latest PC build has MSi GeForce GT 710 1GD3H LP card and a Samsung 22F350 monitor on HDMI connection. It constantly flashes a message popup from the monitor "Auto-adjustment: Not available". I get the message even when in the UEFI Bios screen, so it's presumably not a Windows 10 feature. (It's actually a lot more frequent on the BIOS screen, every few seconds, I think white text on a dark screen make it happen more often). I've updated drivers and played with settings, but the message keeps coming back. Motherboard is ASUS Z390 / Intel i5.

My understanding is that auto-adjust is an analogue/VGA thing so shouldn't happen at all with HDMI - I suppose that's why it says it's unavailable. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Vyv

Colif

Win 11 Master
Auto Adjust does not work when you're using the digital DVI connection or the HDMI connection. If you try to use Auto Adjust when you've set your monitor to the Digital/HDMI mode, the monitor displays the Auto Adjust Not Available message. To adjust the image with a DVI or HDMI connection, you must use the Windows Display Properties dialog or the software provided with your video card.

I can't find anything for your specific monitor. Perhaps reset it to defaults if that is an option.

Dec 11, 2020
Thanks, yes I understand this, what I'm trying to do is STOP my system from calling Auto-adjust, but I don't know whether the call is coming from Windows, the graphics card, or if it's a fault with the monitor itself. I've tried swapping the HDMI cable and resetting the monitor, to no effect. Next step will be swapping with other PCs and monitors, but that involves re-wiring, and scrambling around in the attic for an old VGA cable, so was hoping to avoid!

Colif

Win 11 Master
i think its the monitor, the fact it shows in BIOS means its not windows, at the very least. I think monitor is reacting wrongly to signals sent to it via PC.

Could try using the outputs on back of motherboard instead of the GT 710, just to remove chance its the GPU but I doubt it is.

Try plugging monitor into another PC and see if it still happens.

Dec 11, 2020
The plot thickens.
  • Connected to another PC with NVidia GTX 1660: Perfect (watched for around 30 mins).
  • Connected to a further PC with a NVidia GTX 750Ti: one Auto-adjust message, then perfect (watched for about 45 minutes).
  • Using VGA monitor - perfect, in fact I might just use the VGA output, this PC is only for doing Office stuff on.
Unfortunately I can't check with the motherboard graphics because this is a i5 9400F CPU which doesn't do integrated graphics (things you learn). Interestingly, it hasn't shown the message again since I plugged it all back together and composed this post. The joys of an intermittent fault.

Anyway, thanks for motivating me to do all these tests!

Colif

Win 11 Master
i would test it for longer on another PC and see if it shows up there, as since it is random, it might just need time to show.

Could be a sign you need a new monitor. Something isn't quite right inside monitor if its showing that error when you haven't pressed a button and don't have a VGA cable attached.

or just use vga until it gets another problem... since its just a spare pc.

Dec 11, 2020
Oh yes of course, I just got it from Ebuyer, I imagine I can claim under the warranty even without the original packaging. I'm just a bit annoyed I threw the box away, I normally keep packaging for ever! What I think I really need to do first is connect my nice monitor (samsung U32J59) to this PC and check it doesn't do the same thing, just to rule out probs with the graphics card or the Win 10 installation. Unfortunately this involves even more re-wiring.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Worth a try but I would be surprised. its not a windows error, it is only found on Samsung monitors, and I don't think a GPU could somehow tell the monitor its using VGA when it isn't. the monitor controls that I think. It should know what connections are in use.

I would contact Samsung support and ask them about that error.