[SOLVED] auto-delete all crap that comes preinstalled on w10 laptop?

hddtosdd

Prominent
Mar 6, 2020
what site shows exactly why it's the best?

i cant find a comprehensive and reliable source for this

Solution
I suggest a different approach.

Start by looking in Task Manager to determine what is being launched at startup.

Disable any apps etc. that you can clearly identify as unnecessary and "crap".

Take a look in Task Scheduler as well.

Google/research any app, process, or service that you do not recognize. Learn as much as you can and then take action.

Disable first but keep track of what you do in case an "un do" or "enable" becomes necessary.

The overall problem being that any attempts by some auto-delete could backfire. Manufacturer's do not want you to delete all that stuff. If doing so (rightly or wrongly) breaks your system then that is on you.

Keep control of what is running on your system by understanding what is...

Ralston18

Titan
I suggest a different approach.

Start by looking in Task Manager to determine what is being launched at startup.

Disable any apps etc. that you can clearly identify as unnecessary and "crap".

Take a look in Task Scheduler as well.

Google/research any app, process, or service that you do not recognize. Learn as much as you can and then take action.

Disable first but keep track of what you do in case an "un do" or "enable" becomes necessary.

The overall problem being that any attempts by some auto-delete could backfire. Manufacturer's do not want you to delete all that stuff. If doing so (rightly or wrongly) breaks your system then that is on you.

Keep control of what is running on your system by understanding what is running, why it is running, and lastly, do you need or want it.

If there are no adverse side effects after being disabled then you can go through the applicable uninstalls.

Trust yourself. Not some third party app or process.

Reactions: Dean0919
Solution

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
what exactly do you want to delete? win 10 bloat or the bloat put there by the manufacturer? or both?

resetting win 10 will normally delete all the 3rd party bloat but of course leave the win 10 bloat there as it should be a stock win 10 install now and not whatever the manufacturer did to it.

to get rid of the win 10 bloat is easy with the command line, however everytime it auto-updates, it'll put it all back and turn it all back on like it wants it to be. your preferences don't matter at all as MS knows what best for you!!

what you have to do is to start a list of all you've done through the command line so you can re-run it after each update. tales a while and MS loves to change where things are and what they are called so your script may only be god for a couple updates anyway.

basically, your pc is not yours anymore, but MS is nice enough to let you use the hardware you paid for when they are not using it for you.

There's saying, "Someone garbage is someone else treasure". So, what is "Bloat" for you might be not "bloat" for your laptop' vendor, or for the guy next door.

As said before: Document what you're doing, and maintain periodic image backups, until you reach your level of happiness.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
decrapify

https://downloads.tomsguide.com/PC-Decrapifier,0301-30711.html

is pretty good at removing some of the bloat but i don't think it hits all the windows junk. most of those you still have to do manually through command line. quick search turns up plenty of quick copy and paste commands to remove it all or piece by piece.

bout halfway down the page.

though as i noted all the windows bloat will be back with the next update. so making a quick script of the apps you deleted will make it real easy to redo it once they are all put back on you.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
exactly as USAFRet said, the laptop stuff installed by manufacturer will be gone and won't come back if you fresh install windows.

the windows apps, will come back and will with each full update. for the most part the scripts i wrote to remove the windows apps have been good for most of a year before having to update them. only certain apps get renamed or moved so you have to fix whatever changes.

something like autoruns https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/autoruns
will let you at least disable them all at start-up. once you've removed all you want from start-up it will save a file for you to run again and again. same idea. once update puts it all back, you simply run our script and put it back how you wan it.

if you're unwilling to run the scripts and/or keep up with the uninstall script, then you're not as bothered by the apps being there as you think you are!! :)

not trying to be a smart-ass but i was bothered enough to go through these steps to get it where i wanted it. but it is some work so if you're not overly bothered by it, then just deal with it as is like most everyone else does.