My computer goes into hibernation/stand by every hour or so. I have disabled
hibernation and standby in the control panel, power settings. When it does
this it sometimes will wake when I move the mouse and sometimes it doesn't
and I have to reboot. How do I stop it from doing this? It doesn't log me
out when this happens either.

Hi,

Check Power Management (PM) in the system BIOS. If you disabled the Win
version of PM and the system still hibernates or goes into standby, then it
is there that you will likely find the cause.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Rosalie" <Rosalie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My computer goes into hibernation/stand by every hour or so. I have
> disabled
> hibernation and standby in the control panel, power settings. When it does
> this it sometimes will wake when I move the mouse and sometimes it doesn't
> and I have to reboot. How do I stop it from doing this? It doesn't log
> me
> out when this happens either.

Rick,
Instructions please. My computer just recently started going into
hibernation on it's own. I hadn't had any problems until just a couple weeks
ago. I've never been in the system BIOS before. At least I don't think I've
been. And wouldn't know how to get in there in the first place. Help! This
is driving me crazy.
Rosalie

"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Check Power Management (PM) in the system BIOS. If you disabled the Win
> version of PM and the system still hibernates or goes into standby, then it
> is there that you will likely find the cause.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Rosalie" <Rosalie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > My computer goes into hibernation/stand by every hour or so. I have
> > disabled
> > hibernation and standby in the control panel, power settings. When it does
> > this it sometimes will wake when I move the mouse and sometimes it doesn't
> > and I have to reboot. How do I stop it from doing this? It doesn't log
> > me
> > out when this happens either.

Hi Rosalie,

The system BIOS is accessed before Windows begins to load when the machine
is first started. Often the access is covered by a manufacturer's splash
screen - just hit <escape> at this point. What you want to locate is a line
that reads "enter <any key> to enter setup", as <any key> is what you need
to depress to access the BIOS. You will find a list of many manufacturer's
and what key to hit here:
http://michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm

Once in here, you need to look at the Power Management options to see if
something is set to standby or hibernate after a specific time interval.