[SOLVED] Auto scrolling down in system menus after blue screen: Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Figgle

Honorable
Dec 26, 2014
My computer froze in a CSGO game for the first time ever and when I booted it back up, every system menu (start menu, settings, etc) automatically and uncontrollably scroll down. I've tried:

running SFC Scannow commands and DISM cleanup commands, unplugging all input devices, uninstalling and reinstalling input device drivers, and nothing. Last ditch effort was throwing off my PC with all of my input devices unplugged and turning it on the next day, still nothing. Pls help im dying

Solution
I could guess it might be the graphics drivers. Since it happened in a game and only involves scrolling.

Try running DDU in safe mode (needs to be installed in normal mode) and remove the old GPU drivers and reinstall them. see if that helps

Colif

Win 11 Master
Does it happen in safe mode?

on logon screen, click on the power button in bottom right of screen
while holding left shift, click the restart button
this loads windows into advanced startup
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose startup options
click the restart button
choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
Pc will restart and load safe mode

Settings won't work in safe mode but start menu should.

Any better? Same? You can't stay in safe mode.

I don't know why a freeze in csgo would cause this to happen.

Figgle

Honorable
Dec 26, 2014
Does it happen in safe mode?

on logon screen, click on the power button in bottom right of screen
while holding left shift, click the restart button
this loads windows into advanced startup
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose startup options
click the restart button
choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
Pc will restart and load safe mode

Settings won't work in safe mode but start menu should.

Any better? Same? You can't stay in safe mode.

I don't know why a freeze in csgo would cause this to happen.
Booted up in safe mode now and no, the issue isnt happening :) Do you have any next steps?

Colif

Win 11 Master
I could guess it might be the graphics drivers. Since it happened in a game and only involves scrolling.

Try running DDU in safe mode (needs to be installed in normal mode) and remove the old GPU drivers and reinstall them. see if that helps

Solution

Figgle

Honorable
Dec 26, 2014

I ran DDU in safe mode, booted back up into normal with drivers uninstalled, and still have the issue :( im reinstalling the drivers right now and its still happening. I shouldve checked when i had the drivers uninstalled; ill do that tomorrow when im less tired

Colif

Win 11 Master
Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.

it would be random for sure but worth a try.

You might need to reinstall windows to fix it.

Figgle

Honorable
Dec 26, 2014
Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.

it would be random for sure but worth a try.

You might need to reinstall windows to fix it.
After booting it up this morning after trying this last night, it works as normal. thank you so much youre a lifesaver!

Status
Not open for further replies.