Auto voltage problem occurring during upgrading CPU

Jack Letts

Reputable
Jan 8, 2016
Hi everyone, FIRST OF ALL I KNOW THIS IS A LOT TO READ, BUT I AM DESPERATE FOR HELP.

I have had a lot of problems while upgrading my current CPU and I am in a situation now that has me stumped. I will try to give as much detail as I can right now.

First things first, I previously had an Intel Pentium G3258 which was unlocked. My motherboard is a H81M-P33 with the latest BIOS. Now this processor was running at very high voltages which I never knew until I started to learn more about overclocking. My voltage was set to 1.728 which was the auto set by my motherboard (BIOS). I changed these values to 1.2v and kept everything else the same. Now, I kept going like this for a while but as I am a gamer, I wanted to upgrade to a more powerful CPU. I researched it and asked a few questions on a forum like this one. I was suggested the Intel i5 4570 by a few people as it is compatible with my current motherboard (1150) and not too overpowered for the rest of my build. I purchased this CPU and I was quite excited to get it going. I took my old CPU out, put thermal paste of my i5, put it in, and off I went.

This is where the problem started. I had a look at CPUZ and realized that my CPU voltage was back to 1.728 which was my voltage before I adjusted it on my Pentium. I found this odd and alarming as I didn't want to damage my new CPU. I then went to my BIOS and was alarmed when I went into the overclocking section and the option to change core voltage had disappeared. I didn't know why at first but I researched it and now I understand that my new CPU is locked (i5 4570) and my old CPU (Pentium G3258) is unlocked. This meant that my BIOS would apply the auto settings for clock speeds and voltages to my new CPU without me being able to control this. This means that my BIOS is setting my i5 to a voltage of 1.728v because that's what is 'auto'. At that point I was starting to get annoyed and started to experiment and trial and error a few things.

First I updated my BIOS, I updated all my drivers and I updated everything. This still did not fix the problem of my BIOS setting my auto voltage to 1.7v. I then reset my CMOS (restored my BIOS to default settings) by shorting the pins on my mobo while it was off. After these things I tried again, still auto voltage of 1.7v. At this point I was getting very frustrated. I had a new idea, I would put my g3258 in and set my voltage and then save it as an overclocking profile. I then put my i5 in and loaded the overclocking profile. Then I tried to exit the BIOS and start the computer. I was greeted with a lovely loop of 'your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart.' The reason why was 'whea_uncorrectable_error'. I googled this and found that this error may be due to a overclocked CPU. This really did push me over breaking point and I am now very frustrated with this whole situation.

So, this is where I need the rest of the genius computer society, please, please anything you can think of to fix this problem, help me!
Thank you so much for reading, if you need further images of anything I will happily add them, just leave a comment, thanks!

Edited post as much as possible to aid in comprehension and subsequent answers from the community.
Lutfij

Lutfij

Titan
When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs inclusive of your OS. List them as:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Which BIOS revision are you on at the moment? Can you enter into BIOS?

Jack Letts

Reputable
Jan 8, 2016

Hi thanks for the message, I have added the appropriate hardware names to the list above, and yes I can enter the BIOS which is Click BIOS 4, version E7817MS V1.9 (latest).